chrisbenwalker 20:18 08 Nov 2008

Hi All,
I have an old 60Gb HD from an old set up that I would like to use for a backup of my music collection.
I have had a look on ebay as see that you can get an enclosure that will allow you to use an internal hard drive as an external one.
The HD I have says on it that it is 60GB ATA. Is this IDE or something different? Idon't want to waste my money on something that is not going to work. Any help or alternative recommendations appreciated.

  Technotiger 20:24 08 Nov 2008

Yes - The IDE interface is officially the AT Attachment (ATA) specification, and "IDE drives" and "ATA drives" are synonymous. The name came from the IBM PC/AT, which was the first PC to use the drives.

  iqs 20:25 08 Nov 2008

IDE,intergrated device electronics. ATA,advanced technology attachment ,both are the same.

  chrisbenwalker 20:27 08 Nov 2008

thanks both!!

  Technotiger 20:28 08 Nov 2008

You're welcome. Cheers.

  chub_tor 21:54 08 Nov 2008

And then of course we have the "old style" IDE drives with a large connector sometimes also known as PATA (parallel ATA) and the "new style" with small connectors known as SATA or Serial ATA.

  britto 23:35 08 Nov 2008

I was looking at one of these earlier for an old h/d , think it would work ok

  britto 23:42 08 Nov 2008

err... link
click here

  chub_tor 12:45 09 Nov 2008

That enclosure should be fine for an old IDE PATA drive.

  chrisbenwalker 17:38 09 Nov 2008

would this work for an old internal dvd writer aswell then you think?
click here

  chub_tor 18:22 09 Nov 2008

Yes it is fine for any IDE device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?