ICS Problem back

aca 22:19 28 Mar 2006

Thought resolved problem in post click here

But after getting ICS working its gone again. The situation is:

2 PCs connected via LAN with ADSL Internet, both XP Pro. Have had ICS and everything else working fine until last week. had loads of problems with what I thought was Trojan on Host. Lots of online/scans/installs of AV and also several restores later I am now not able to ICS.

On host have internet fine. Have checked all the IP addresses on both PCs and fine. Have uninstalled ICS on host and reinstalled. First time this worked but now ICS gone again. The LAN appears physically ok. Can ping both ways ok. I have unistalled and reinstalled the network card on host but no good.

Is best option now to remove network completely and start again?

thanks

aca 19:39 29 Mar 2006

bb

mgmcc 09:51 30 Mar 2006

Apart from going through the same procedure as before, I don't know what else to suggest.

<<< Is best option now to remove network completely and start again? >>>

The problem is that there isn't actually anything to "remove", the network setup is just a collection of settings. If you run IPCONFIG /ALL in a Command prompt window in the "host" PC, does it show "IP Routing Enabled - Yes"?

aca 18:19 30 Mar 2006

no IP Routing Enabled does not appear

aca 18:31 30 Mar 2006

sorry mgmcc it is enabled

aca 18:44 30 Mar 2006

In event viewer there seems to be fairly frequent DCOM error?

is this connected?

mgmcc 21:59 30 Mar 2006

Download the "DCOMbobulator" from click here to disable DCOM and see if that makes any difference.

aca 15:38 31 Mar 2006

Didnt make any difference, now at a complete loss. Have been on loads of websites and am pretty confident that all setting are as they should.

aca 19:25 31 Mar 2006

anyone else able to help?

aca 08:07 01 Apr 2006

For some reason its started working again. On the off chance, booted up didnt change any settings and hey presto I had Internet.

Only thing I can think is that earlier in day i thought I would diable XP Firewall on Client and Sygate on host. I did this and at the time it didnt make any difference.

Both PCs then left off for day, then it works when I get back from work. Very strange.

Any ideas on whether this might be connected to resetting the firewalls (or delayed effect of swithching off DCOM) appreciated

aca 19:12 01 Apr 2006

Internet connection sharing now gone, cant think of anything obvious that I have done to either host/client.

Feels like I'm talking to myself here, please help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?