Icons disappear....!!

AngeTheHippy 11:27 06 Jul 2004

Morning Chaps, over the past week (at the most)when for example, I close an application, just for a few seconds all the desktop icons, including the task bar, but not the wallpaper, disappear the reappear. Now, I've done a couple system restores, but this doesn't seem to change anything. Why should this happen? I'm fully up to date with my AV updates, use Spybot also. I DID get a virus alert the other week, can't remember the exact wording,, something like...'Bloodhound. ' - not an EXE, and it couldn't be quarantined; I went to NAVs homepage,found and installed a small bit of s/w to find then quarantine this 'bloodhound' thingy. This didn't arrive via e-mail mind you, but as I was surfing a specific site. Anyway - rambling on here a bit, back to the icons etc. Any clues?

AngeTheHippy
xx

AngeTheHippy 11:35 06 Jul 2004

It's an XP machine, with all the MS & XP updates installed.

ATH

Chris the Ancient 12:10 06 Jul 2004

Found this

click here

Does it help?

AngeTheHippy 13:27 06 Jul 2004

thanks for your input; sounds like the exact prob I've been having, doesn't it. However, I gotta pay to get the answer on that site!!! Will have a hunt around though to see if I can find similar elsewhere.

Any more ideas, guys?

AngeTheHippy

Chris the Ancient 13:57 06 Jul 2004

Sorry, didn't realise that they wanted money!

Scarey!

I shall see if I can find anything else.

Chris

GroupFC 14:02 06 Jul 2004

I have a similar occurrence from time to time but have never been able to find out the cause!

I will watch this thread with interest!

Chris the Ancient 14:07 06 Jul 2004

I looked here

click here

and found out more.

There is a lot of gobbledygook, but there are some points that leap out.

1) Yes it can happen - but it's not a serious problem.

2) A defrag might help.

There is a link to get some more up-to-date files if you're in an adventurous mood and happy to install them. And don't forget to read both pages of the thread! I nearly forgot!

I have to disappear out and do some more work, but will catch up with the thread tonight.

Good luck!

Chris

Anyway, have a look/play and see if it helps

AngeTheHippy 20:41 06 Jul 2004

yeah, will have a look at this site..... just looked at the forum thread you pointed me to - I think I've come to the conclusion that this occurrence is just a 'quirk' of windows/XP. Maybe I won't start worrying about it unless it starts to become more frequent.

Cheers for your help,

AngeTheHippy
xx

Chris the Ancient 20:56 06 Jul 2004

You're welcome!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?