Icons changed colour & Shape

chub_tor 17:38 18 Feb 2008

I foolishly downloaded an XP Theme showing Sydney Harbour Bridge and applied it to see how it looked. I didn't like it so reverted back to my existing theme. However not everything changed back to how it was. All my general folder icons that used to be little yellow folders that opened if you click on them have turned into blue miniature pages with turned down edges that have a green tick on them when opened. I don't like this and would like to go back to the old XP standard folder.
System Restore (to two earlier points) has not worked and I would appreciate any advice on how to get my yellow folders back.

crosstrainer 17:41 18 Feb 2008

Control panel, open add remove programmes, and check to see if your sydney screensaver is there. If it is uninstall it and see if your machine reverts to normal.

chub_tor 17:58 18 Feb 2008

Should have said, I've tried that but the Screensaver is not in Control Panel. I went back to the website that I got the theme from click here and downloaded their uninstaller. Howevever this does not run under XP and they say to uninstall XP themes from Control Panel - but it aint't there!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for trying, any other suggestions welcomed.

lotvic 18:19 18 Feb 2008

You may have to have a play about with this to get them all to change
try rightclicking on one of the 'offending' folders and choose 'properties' > Customize tab and at the bottom box 'Change Icon' and then click on 'restore defaults'

I have just done this: changed one of the folders in My Documents to a different icon and then changed it back again via 'restore defaults'
I was quite surprised that when I changed one of folders it was the only one that changed from usual yellow folder (I was expecting all of the folders icons to change)

I am going to have a 'play' with this later as as I have found out I can change individual folder icons - and I didn't know that :)

chub_tor 18:41 18 Feb 2008

Thanks, tried that but it doesn't work either. I have been able to change some of them by going to Properties, Customise Change Icon but if I choose the standard yellow folder when I click on Apply I don't get that but one that is blue with a green tick! Most frustrating......

chub_tor 18:51 18 Feb 2008

OK I fixed it by going into TweakuiXP and clicking on Repair, Rebuild Icons.

Thanks to all for the advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone