Icon in taskbar

Rhuddlan 01:43 09 Jun 2004

I have today installed Wanadoo Broadband and all is working fine, except I have an icon which is titled Safely Remove Hardware in the taskbar, when I right click on it tells me that I have to select an object to stop or eject, the only icon in the list is my usb modem, which I thought I have to keep connected at all times. I don't want to disconnect it every time I have finished with the net. I have stopped it from startup folder and tried to hide it from the taskbar, but it still appears whenever the comp starts. Any ideas on how I can get rid of this annyoning icon that isn't wanted in the taskbar, regards, Rhuddlan.

pat2068 01:54 09 Jun 2004

i also have it with ntl broadband i hide it by clicking on a empty space on my task bar properties customise click on it and hide it ntl told me i should only use it if i wanted to remove my modem leo

Rhuddlan 01:58 09 Jun 2004

Hi there, I have tried this by selecting always hide in the cutomzise option of the taskbar, but it still always appears at startup, it isn't a startup item, but is quite annoyning as I am only used to 3 startup items, anyone have any other ideas, as I don't want to disconnect my usb modem, thanks, Rhuddlan.

pat2068 02:09 09 Jun 2004

sorry that the only way i no fo hiding it cant you just leave it as it want do any harm and you dont need to disconect your usb modem as i have never disconected mine in over 2 years leo

Rhuddlan 02:32 09 Jun 2004

Thanks for the help, u have had broadband for over 2 years, wow!!! We have only had it here in this part of North Wales for 3 weeks, that's what u get for living in rural areas. Anywat I am pleased to have it now and the speed is amazing, thanks again, Regards, Rhuddlan.

rawprawn 09:56 09 Jun 2004

You will find it disappears on it's own from time to time, I think it appears when some hardware is using a usb connection, but don't worry it will do no harm.

Djohn 10:03 09 Jun 2004

rawprawn is correct. It will appear from time to time usually because one or other USB hardware has been plugged in, such as your modem/keyboard/mouse/camera/printer/scanner/pen drive etc.

It appears so that you can click on it to safely remove the hardware from your PC. It will auto. hide after a while by itself and if your modem is the only USB hardware then as it gets used to the fact this item is always connected will appear less often.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017