ICMP Type 10

Jester2K II 11:06 16 Dec 2003

Not being paranoid but just curious.

I have a VB6 application that i wrote. This morning i started the program and got a warning from Sygate that i was trying to make a "ICMP Type 10" connection.

What on earth for? The program just changes a reg key and back again to switch Flash On and Off??

Gemma 12:55 16 Dec 2003

Internet Control Message Protocol type 10 is a router message that advertises it's ports.
Why you generate it? No idea at all!

s3mt3x 14:16 16 Dec 2003

Best idea is to get a packet sniffer - a free one is etherreal i think. I had a similar problem where my pc was just sending out thousands of ICMP packets - it turned out to be a virus (the RPC worm) - just a thought anyway.

Jester2K II 14:41 16 Dec 2003

Gemma - me neither.

s3mt3x - won't be that...

s3mt3x 16:41 16 Dec 2003

Well, form experience, this worm WAS sending out hundereds of ICMP packets - it was iterating through IP addresses to find its next host - once I downloaded the fix - the packets stopped flooding out!

Jester2K, did it tell you what application was trying to send out the packet?

Jester2K II 17:59 16 Dec 2003

Yes. I one i wrote called Flash Control.

Jester2K II 18:01 16 Dec 2003

This should have read...

"I have a VB6 application that i wrote. This morning i started the program and got a warning from Sygate that IT was trying to make a "ICMP Type 10" connection. "

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?