IBM or Dell

puma377 15:08 22 Jul 2009

Hi
I'm looking to buy a cheap secondhand laptop, I really dont have the funds to buy a new one but I need one that is fairly durable, my daughter accidently dropped the Dell 5160 I have been loaned and the screen is badly cracked so I'm having to replace that. I'm looking at an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad like a T60 or T61 as IBM have a good reputation, and these are only a couple of years old, I'm looking at a T60 for £299 which really is at the top of my limited budget. I'm also looking at the Dell 620/630, though I'm not too impressed with Dell.

The specs I have for the IBM are:

Product information
Processor
Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz T2500 (system part number 1951-CTO)
RAM
2Gb RAM
Hard Drive
60Gb Hard drive
Screen
14.1" TFT
Operating System
Pre-installed with Windows XP Pro including authentic Microsoft License
Drive Type
DVD/CDRW
WiFi
Built in 802.11 a/b/g
Networking
Built in 10/100
Ports
3 x USB 2.0, 1 x PCMCIA,1 x CardBus - type I/II, 1 x ExpressCard - 34mm/54mm, 10/100/1000 Gigabit Networking, External VGA, Audio Out, Modem, Fingerprint reader
Acessories
Charger & Mains Cable included
Battery
The Battery has been tested as working and holds a charge, however the amount of charge held cannot be guaranteed.
Product Condition
Professionally refurbished, Data Wiped and Reboxed. This Laptop is in excellent condition with only minor marks to the lid
Warranty
Supplied with our 90 Day RTB Warranty plus the balance of IBM's international 3 year warranty which is typically 3 to 6 months

A good deal? Any advice would be grateful

GaT7 16:04 22 Jul 2009

Hi puma377, does that £299 laptop include VAT?

For £330 you can have a brand new, better-specced machine with 1-year's warranty - e.g. a HP 550 @ eBuyer click here.

However, if Vista isn't your thing, you're only option may be a refurbished/secondhand unit with XP.

You didn't say where you'll be getting the above from, but one of these places might net you a better deal: Bigpockets click here & MCScom click here (quoted prices excl VAT here), with many of the latter's laptops coming with a full 3-year Dell warranty. G

interzone55 16:58 22 Jul 2009

No question, get the ThinkPad

I've got three now, and the oldest one is a 120mhz pentium model from 1996 (D160 I think) which is still going strong, although the battery is totally dead so it only works on mains.

I've also got a P-III model (T-23) from 2001 and a T-24 from 2002. The two latest models are used daily...

puma377 16:59 22 Jul 2009

Hi Crossbow7

I'm looking at ebay and the prices include vat. I havent any experience with Vista, so am happy to stick with xp theres Windows 7 on the horizon. I havent heard good reports about HP, that said my PC is HP. I need a robust machine, I couldnt believe the amount of damage done to the Dell screen from being dropped from such a low height. IBM's reputation is great, thats why I looked at the refurb T60. I'll take a look at the sites you've suggested. Thanks for your help.

puma377 17:03 22 Jul 2009

Thanks alan14, I've heard really good things about IBM, was just a bit worried about getting one thats more than 3 years old.

interzone55 17:14 22 Jul 2009

The only problem you may encounter is a dead, or nearly dead battery, but there's plenty of spares available.

Whilst a genuine IBM battery will be more expensive than a 3rd party product I'd stick with the genuine batteries as they're way more reliable.

As for windows, it looks like the recommended hardware spec for windows 7 is similar to Vista, so I'd stick with XP if I were you...

woodchip 17:21 22 Jul 2009

I have a HP Laptop, very good. its only a single core 2.13Ghs CPU a Centrino. It does all I need from a Laptop XP home on it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?