I would like to increase PC speed.

missjosy 08:57 22 Nov 2005

I would like to speed up my PC. Currently, I find it very slow.
I do not use it for any kind of games/ video etc. purely minor office work, and surfing.
I would like to have a processor speed of at least 2.8Ghz.(budget under £80 for processor), at the same time, I would plan to update from Win 98SE to XP Home.(£60-70?)

I would delighted to receive members advice and views on this matter.
The current spec is as follows.

2200 Sempron AMD
256 MB DDR RAM
80GB HD
Onboard 32MB video
16 Bit Sound Card.
58K 90 Modem
10/100 net card
I use dialup Anytime Tiscali.

Thank you.

mgmcc 09:05 22 Nov 2005

The most effective way to increase the PC's performance would be to increase its RAM, particularly if intending to use XP.

The maximum supported by Windows 98 is supposed to be 512MB, but I haven't had problems running it with 768MB of RAM.

The speed constraint with your web browsing is much more likely to be the dialup connection to the internet rather than the processing capability of the PC.

Gongoozler 09:12 22 Nov 2005

Hi missjosy. This spec of computer shouldn't be very slow for the sort of thing you're using it for. A 2.8G processor would only give a very small improvement over a Sempron 2200. XP Home might even slow your computer down a bit because it requires much more resources. If the slowness is in your surfing, then the only real way to improve things is to go broadband, the difference would be quite amazing. If your other applications are running slow then you might have a trojan or some other malware running in the background. Try a thorough antivirus scan. Also download and run AdAware click here and Ccleaner click here. Also click Start - Run and type in msconfig. Click on the Startup tab and see what programs load at startup. Untick any you don't want - post the list here if you're unsure.

If these don't help, then consider reformatting your C: drive and reinstalling Windows.

Diodorus Siculus 09:25 22 Nov 2005

As above, consolidate your startup processes:

Startups - Contents
click here

Add another 512mb RAM - click here and enter your motherboard details - and it will be fine for XP when the time comes.

keewaa 09:30 22 Nov 2005

If you're going to update to winXP @£170, I suggest you get a NEW Dell 1100 2.5 Celeron 512MB @£170 which comes with XP ...not quite what you're after but a huge bargain ..... use evalue code 1-d11111 on the Dell site (If it comes up more than this, click on to the small business section first, then evalue)

missjosy 09:51 22 Nov 2005

Hello
mgmcc
Gongoozler
Diodorus Siculus
keewa

As always, I value your help and advice. I shall go now and ponder all your contributions. I shall then plan my PC's future!

Kind regards.
Jo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?