I-Worm/Sobig.B virus

LPB 23:48 09 Jun 2003

I use AVG 6.0 virus checker. It reported that virus I-Worm/Sobig B virus had been identified in C:\WINDOWS\msccn32.exe, and that I should run AVG to remove the virus. Result: Infected files detected 2, viruses removed by healing 2, viruses still on drive 0. Later that day, I had the following warning: "AVG Resident Shield. Virus identified I-Worm/Sobig.B is found in file C:\System Volume Information\-restore{B42518BA-188E-432B-914A-D2C198B52520}\RP62\A0005911.exe. To remove this virus run AVG." But when AVG was run, it reported that no virus was found.
I did a search for file C:\System Volume Information, to be told "Not accessible. Access denied."
The virus warning keeps popping up, yet I cannot remove it. Does anyone have any ideas, please?
Les Bufton

jazzypop 23:59 09 Jun 2003

Your system has taken a 'system snapshot', to facilitate a system restore. The snapshot includes the infected file, but Windows is locking the snapshot (to prevent over-writing), so the AV programme cannot access it to deal with it.

If you disable system restore, reboot, then re-enable system restore, all snapshots will be deleted. This will clear the infected file, but will obviously prevent you from restoring to a point before when you disabled system restore.

Windows Help will show you how to disable / enable System restore.

Gaz 25 00:46 10 Jun 2003

Yes I agree with the above, it seams so many unlucky people have caught the virus and are asking the same.

LPB 22:31 11 Jun 2003

Thanks jazzypop - your advice seems to have worked!
Les Bufton

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?