I won't do any damage will I?

I have an athlon XP 2000+ which by default is running at 1666. I have gone into the bios and "clocked" it so it is running at 1850 (curiosity more than anything). This won't cause any damage will it, or should I do it a little less or put it back to the default setting?

explicitlyrics100 20:59 18 Feb 2004

should be fine if you have a moderate cooler on it. What temp does the bios report the processor as? If its 50 or more id underclock a bit more

caast©? 21:00 18 Feb 2004

pays yer money an takes yer chance.

If you insist on over clocking do a search in google and check one or two sites out.

Step up in small increments while making sure your system is stable.

keep well ventilated also as heat will become a factor

Motherboard reads 29 c and CPU reads 41 c. Is that okay?

explicitlyrics100 21:04 18 Feb 2004

yup fine, one of pcs has a xp1600 in it that is not overclocked and it read about that (mind you that was in the summer which can make a fairly significant difference)

Everthing is working fine, although there is not any noticeable difference in speed.

explicitlyrics100 21:11 18 Feb 2004

in that case there are probably other components that cant cope with the speed increase and it is probably advisable to put it back, itll just be more stable and likely to last longer,

plkiojh 21:11 18 Feb 2004

One of the wonderful things about O\C'ing systems is that rush of adrenaline when you realise that your PC is still alive.

Seriously though, as long as you have a proper cooling fan (and I dont mean one of those Mickey Mouse things the size of a 50p) you shoud be OK. If you have a flair for style, try a Coolermaster Jet 7, or one of the Thermaltake offerings. They will keep things under control.

If you start getting system lock-ups or errors, then slow it down a bit until it runs stable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?