I want a website for my Holiday Place!

User-CB94CED6-F3AA-42E7-8A286564F5DCBC14 16:15 26 Jan 2008

I am a complete novice and want to make a website myself for a self catering place in Crete. I will have my own domain name but how do I best go about finding an all-in-one hoster where I can create and control a website. I think I would need the following:

1. 6 main pages.
2. on-line booking and paying.
3. availability chart.
4. local area stuff.
5. googlemap of the place.
6. probably links to flight details.
7. email facilities.
8.payment reminders.

Any advice on any of these appreciated. Thanks.

Rose 17:21 26 Jan 2008

Hi cantthinkofanickname
While not a complete novice I stumbled across this piece of software - click here - and was so impressed by it, I bought it and created my first website click here I then discovered by reading this forum that heartinternet is currently offering free web hosting so I uploaded my newly created site there. I can't recommend this software enough and heartinternet were fantastic when I needed help finding how to sign up for their free offer. As a novice you won't go wrong if you decide to go down this route. Before making a decision make sure to watch all the tutorials on the Incomedia Website and if you decide to buy, pay in Euro, it's cheaper than the quoted GB Pound price. The best of luck with your venture.

Forum Editor 00:19 27 Jan 2008

will provide you with the facilities outlined by fourm member.

The web design package is Ok for basic stuff but it will not cope with DB additions, PHP I suspect. It's all very well going for the sexy looking stuff but once you need dynamic stuff like maps, feeds and paypal then a CMS is required. I wonder if anyone has bought a hosting with a website creation pakage and actually used the more complex stuff for paypal and rental booking etc.? Anyone?

Forum Editor 12:52 27 Jan 2008

for a site like this. In saying that I'm making the assumption that you'll be the only person making changes to the content. If that's the case there's no need for a CMS, you can do the jon with any reasonable web design software.

You'll use a MySQL database, and most hosts offer at least one of those with any package above the most basic. Maps are handled with hyperlinks, and PayPal payments are easy - you simply download button code from your PayPal account and insert it into your pages. The code generates a 'Buy now' button that links directly to your payment page on the PayPal server - it all works very smoothly, and if you have a business account with PayPal your customers can pay by credit card.

You can link out to airline flight details.

Payment reminders can go out via email - there's no point in trying to automate that side of things until/unless you have hundreds of reminders to send, and that's not going to be the case with one holiday home in Crete.

cretan 11:46 17 Feb 2008

Thanks for your advise on cantthinkofanickname

From all of your suggestions and research fasthost seems to offer all I need based on the editors comments and it seems you can link to google from this web provider. Any experience anyone

redsparrow 12:23 17 Feb 2008

I built a website for my holiday home click here using a free copy of Netobjects fusion, which if you keep an eye out, appears on the front of magazines every now and then. I found it really easy to use and i enjoyed building it and getting it how i wanted it. I use 1 and 1 as a webhost, not the cheapest around, but i have never had any problems with them.

For an availability calendar and guest comment book i use click here which is free to use. Plus using this you can also link to it from other advertising websites such as click here and if you are on number of sites you only have to update one calendar.

On line payment is costly (around £25 per month) and to be honest we have never needed to use it in 4 years. As FE said Paypal is there if your guest needs to pay via credit card.

As for everything else just look around the web and you will find plenty of maps, local info etc.. to link too.

vitalir 20:17 28 Oct 2008

BTW make sure you pick the right domain name for your holiday home website, which will prove to be very useful later. You may read here on that: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?