i want to upgrade my graphics card

helluvatractor 08:08 31 Jan 2009

hi all, am afraid i am a definate newbie when it comes to whats new in the computer world nowadays

i'm after a bit of advice. i'd like to play some newer games on my pc, (i've grown bored with the early medal of honours and call of duties, brilliant that they are). i've borrowed some games off a mate : james bond - quantum of solace, medal of honour airborne and call of duty 4 but my machine cannot cope even when all the graphics options are turned to lowest. (moh airborne isn't even supported by my card)

so i'd like to upgrade my graphics card, but i'm not sure whether my machine is up to it ; i don't want to fork out on a graphics card if my pc isn't really fast enough. eg. putting a shiny new engine in a clapped out car

i've had it for 3-4 years now and the specs are;

amd athlon 64 4000+
2.41 ghz
150 gb ram
nvidia geforce 6200 turbocache

if the computer could handle a better graphics card that would let me play these types of games without the juddering (i don't mind turning down the graphics options) then could anyone suggest a reasonably priced card that would be suitable? around 50 pounds or cheaper? even older ones on ebay?
many thanks, matt

crosstrainer 09:14 31 Jan 2009

150gb of ram? I doubt it. to enable us to help, download and run this free tool:

click here

We don't need the whole report, just the motherboard, memory and graphics card details.

Post back with these and we will be better able to assist :))

helluvatractor 19:17 31 Jan 2009

cheers, i'vs just copies and pasted the relevant bits (i think)

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: 939NF6G-VSTA
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.40 04/30/2007
Drives Memory Modules c,d
203.91 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
42.99 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
203.91 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
42.99 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI DVD A DH20A4P [CD-ROM drive]
Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
GTKT ERSX278LE3 SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6L200S0 [Hard drive] (203.92 GB) -- drive 0
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM) [Display adapter]
Default Monitor

hope this helps, thanks for your help,

DieSse 19:24 31 Jan 2009

How much RAM have you got?

What make and model is the motherboard?

helluvatractor 19:32 31 Jan 2009

christ ! i dunno, is there a way of finding out without opening the box.??

MAT ALAN 19:42 31 Jan 2009

click here

run the prog in the link it will give you the info you need BUT i fear upgrading your VGA card alone may not be enough to play the games you want too..
i will have a gues and say your card is AGP and not PCI-e in which case you may are certainly going to struggle.
Even the highest end AGP card may require a bigger PSU to run it you may also need more memory to play these games as you want too...

crosstrainer 05:47 01 Feb 2009

I think you are right, this is an older AGP based board...These cards are getting hard to find now, and to be honest, I don't think it's going to give the system the required power to run the latest games :((

helluvatractor 10:09 01 Feb 2009

ok, thanks guys. i'd rather know that than start spending out on a graphics card that aint gonna work. so really am i talking about a new computer? if i want to play these games?

MAT ALAN 13:12 01 Feb 2009

Realistcally yes, i would say so, as high end games get more demanding the need for a system that can play them as you want too is the way to go...
You don't need to spend thousands but if you are a serious gamer you really need a system that will stand the test of time and is upgradable...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?