I want to remove name from Docs and Settings

newearwax 12:26 13 Apr 2010

I am doing a non destructive clear out of my old XP computer of personal data... shredding files and wiping free space.... before I try to dispose of it to charity.

I am the sloe user with administrator rights, but I cannot find any way to remove the folder in Documents and Settings that has my User ( and actual) name.

I wold greatly appreciate idiot proof advice on the matter.

Please!

northumbria61 12:45 13 Apr 2010

You should be able to right click My Computer then go to Manage. Go to Local Users and Groups. Click on Users and then right click the user you want to delete and click Delete. This should work.

onthelimit 13:50 13 Apr 2010

As the sole user, you may not be able to delete, but following the advice above, you should be able to rename.

onthelimit 13:52 13 Apr 2010

or, Control Panel, User Accounts.

rdave13 13:58 13 Apr 2010

Or create a new user profile with admin rights then delete your profile.

newearwax 15:02 13 Apr 2010

When I use Manage I do not see Local users and Groups
click here
other methods do not seem to work either.

ATM I have just managed to rename to random letters.

Eric10 16:34 13 Apr 2010

You can rename a user from 'Control Panel, User Accounts' but that will not change the name of the folder that appears in 'Documents and Settings'. The only way to get a new name in 'Documents and Settings' is to follow rdave13's advice and create a new user, possibly using a generic name such as Owner. When you login as the new user a new folder will be created with the name you specified. You can then delete your old username from 'Control Panel, User Accounts' making sure to select the option to delete all the user's files and folders.
Any programs that you may wish to leave on the computer should then be reinstalled while logged in as the new user.
If there are a lot of programs that you want to save then click here for how to copy a user profile but do this before deleting the old one.

rdave13 20:45 17 Apr 2010

Any luck yet?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:31 17 Apr 2010

Change Name and Company Information After You Install Win XP

Start/Run/Regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion in the left pane.

Then In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under "Value data", type the name that you want, and then click OK.

To change the name of the registered owner, In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under "Value data", type the name that you want, and then click OK/Exit

rdave13 21:49 17 Apr 2010

Try Magical Jelly Bean; version 1.51. Under the option tab will allow to change owner's name without going to regedit.
click here
Ignore security software if they complain.

hatrickj 09:26 23 Apr 2010

Sorry for delayed response, but have been away.

Thank you for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache