I want a new ISP Suggest one to me

PªūĽ ™ ♂ 16:05 13 Feb 2003

I have lead a sheltered ISP life up to now I have used aol all my surfing life but now I need a change. I would appreciate any suggestions you can give, The only thing I want is there is to be no limits to the hours I can use it a month. I am loking at a 56 K dial up account and I have a credit card if needs be.

I look forward to your responses

Sir Radfordin™ 16:14 13 Feb 2003

I used AOL for well over a year, only changing because I got a BB connection. Never had a problem connecting, and very few problems with the install. Opened more accounts with them than I care to remember. Good fast speeds, didn't get disconected after 2 hours and didn't get told off for being on too much.

Pesala 16:22 13 Feb 2003

I would recommend the cable modem for three reasons:

1. Your phone line is not tied up when you are on-line. You can talk on the phone when on-line too, which is often useful when resolving problems.

2. Value for money. About five times faster than dial-up connection. £15 a month is cheap, unless you can get dialup for £3 a month with no phone-bill.

3. Greater bandwidth makes the whole experience much more enjoyable.

Steinman 16:28 13 Feb 2003

NTL Dial up. Just £10 month. 2 hr cut-off, BUT can relog on straight away. No other limits.

Ben Avery (Work) 16:30 13 Feb 2003

I also use NTL (600kb) BB package and this is fantastic.

I previously have used ntlhome dial-up which was pretty good, freeserve BB (512kb) and dial-up which are both ok and AOL which I really had trouble with.

Saying that, the trouble I had with AOL came down to not using a BT phone line as AOL dfon't like NTL phone line customers.

Yet if Sir Rafordin says that AOL were good to him (I guess you used a BT line?) then I would trust his judgement. He spends much of the day helping people out on here so it must've been pretty good!

BA

Ben Avery (Work) 16:31 13 Feb 2003

ntlhome dial up anytime is only £10!

...if it's available in your area that is!

BA

.:º»[RjA]«º:. 16:34 13 Feb 2003

Go for DSL dude!
The extra 10-15 £ a month is well worth it.

I use pipex. 65Kb/s always. Sublime.

Ben Avery (Work) 16:35 13 Feb 2003

128K "about 5 times faster than dial up connection"?

I'm confused, I have a 600K and that only works out about 10x faster?

BA

.:º»[RjA]«º:. 16:35 13 Feb 2003

At the moment im downloading a 155MB file hosted in america:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ETA: 42 mins

Sir Radfordin™ 16:45 13 Feb 2003

Well obviously if ADSL/Cable is an optin I'd go for that everytime!

.:º»[RjA]«º:. something nice and legal I take it ;-)

otherwise ETA FAST...less than 42 mins :D

PªūĽ ™ ♂ 17:27 13 Feb 2003

Darn NTL isnt available in my area and niether is telewest. Im in devon EX32 with a bt line at present. Thankyou for your replies so far though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)