I want to go Penguin

Neil22 19:44 27 May 2005

Hi there folks,

I have been using windows since its inception and am quite tired of it all. I am hearing rave reviews of Linux. I am interested in Mandriva. My problem is I've got a hardrive full of material I need. This is my current hard drive(C:) running Windows 98. If I make this my slave drive and install Mandriva on a New C: drive, will I be able to dual boot to Win 98 from my slave drive.

Or is the easiest way to plonk a slave drive and install Mandirva onto that?

I am trying not to reinstall Win 98 and disturb all the files I need.

Thanks

Mandy265 19:52 27 May 2005

Read click here hope its helpfull.

Mandy265 20:04 27 May 2005

Also click here

Dutch 20:39 27 May 2005

I would be tempted to install Mandriva either on a partition on your present C drive, or on a second hard drive - seeing as you are trying it out.

This way, you can install the Linux bootloader (Lilo or Grub) which will recognise the Windo$e OS as well as your Linux OS - unfortunately Windo$e doesn't do the same - and you can dual boot to your hearts content.

If you then decide to stay with Redmond (which I doubt) then you can just do the fix/mbr thing and Windo$e will rule again.

Don't get me wrong - until a few years ago I was a Windo$e man all the way - I just got up the courage one day to try what I was slagging off and realised that Linux was now a real alternative.

HTH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?