I want to build my own

tlr 13:15 04 Aug 2003

I am going to build my own computer, just a bog standard mulimedia affair but would like to know if there are any sites that take you through the steps as it is also my first. I have picked out the componants from online retailers but before I buy I want to be sure I have everything covered

Thanks
Dave

rickf 13:18 04 Aug 2003

click here or pcadvisor did a series not long ago. Do a search.

Djohn 16:10 04 Aug 2003

Issues 85/86/87 Build your own PC. Can be ordered, or downloaded as a PDF file from PCA. click here j.

trinity 16:19 04 Aug 2003

Some more advice, look on google/forums specific to the motherboard you have chosen for any major problems with them before you buy, you can save yourself a lot of problems and heartache that way.

The motherboard is probably the most important companent in building your own pc, buy the best you can afford. The other parts are easier to upgrade later.

Come back for advice. :)

Djohn 16:25 04 Aug 2003

Also as trinity says, do a search of your chosen M/Board site and CPU site for a cross reference of which M/Board/CPU is recommended by each. j.

Rayuk 17:15 04 Aug 2003

click here
Bit short on graphics though.

961 17:29 04 Aug 2003

click here is the one to use.
Also, if your library has "Upgrading and repairing PCs" by Scott Mueller you will find that very useful. The book also has a cd with videos of the PC being built although this may have disappeared unless you can borrow the book from a friend.

Building is quite straightforward if you take your time and take it in easy stages

Enjoy

Mango Grummit 18:57 04 Aug 2003

This is a good one. Loads of useful pictures.
click here

tlr 23:35 04 Aug 2003

Thanks all, there is plenty food for thought and advice to keep me going. I will no doubt be back with problems with it all later

Cheers
Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?