I want to build a desktop

andy63walsh 16:56 21 Sep 2010

Hi.
I can get a bare bones pc from CPC and all the bit, but not dead sure what bits to get and how do I get the bios and software going etc ?

FreeCell 19:55 21 Sep 2010

You can usually buy a complete system cheaper than you can build one these day but if you want to build your own from scratch then it's a great learning experience, but read up all you can before you go out and buy any expensive components. Try this link as a start to understanding what's involved but there are lots of useful sites on the internet.
click here

First of all decide what you want the PC to do (surf the web, email, office applications, home theatre, image processing, video editing, games, etc, etc) then decide on a budget. The more power hungry the applications the more money you will need to spend on the processor and motherboard. Choosing these first will dictate most of the other components in terms of type of memory and whether you need a separate graphics card and the type of case that will take the motherboard and size of the power supply, etc. Hard discs (3.5 inch for a desktop) and optical drives are pretty standard unless you want blu-ray recording but even these the price is beginning to fall.

You need to make sure all the bits are compatible with each other then putting them together will be relatively straightforward if done with care.

The BIOS will be on the motherboard and the first time you boot the computer you boot into the BIOS, usually by hitting the Delete or F8 key on power on. Then you can change any settings that are necessary though most will automatically recognise the system components you have installed and use the right settings.

What you will need is an operating system to install. Ubuntu is free and would allow you to get a system up and running at the lowest cost, then if you prefer you can then install Windows 7 when everything seems to be running fine and you are sure you want to spend c£90 for a copy.

Good luck.

MAT ALAN 23:31 24 Sep 2010

click here
click here

these links should point you in the right direction.

If you are on a tight budget
click here
this will definitely help...

tigertop2 21:13 26 Sep 2010

Beware, Building a PC will hook you worse than golf or gambling. I started off 3 years ago just to buld one,yes one. I am on my 17th now.

john302 02:38 28 Sep 2010

<a href="click here">Convert PDF Files</a> is a five in one useful PDF tool with large conversion function.
<a href="click here">Convert PDF Files to PowerPoint</a>,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?