I unplug my CDROM. HDD Fail. PLug back-all ok.

Dorsai 21:52 05 Jun 2004

I have a Biostar M7VKD KT133 Mobo. On my primary IDE cable I have a Western Digital HDD, ATA66 (Master), and a BTC 24X CD-ROM, ATA33 (slave). On the secondary cable I have an LG DVD/CD-re-writer combo drive (master). I want to ditch the BTC CD-Rom, as it drags my ATA66 HDD down to ATA33. If I unplug the cd-rom my system fails to boot, with the message 'primary HDD failure' It also Fails to auto detect the hard drive/lg drive. if I turn the PC off, plug the BTC cd-rom back in it boots up fine. I have tried the diagnostic floppy supplied with the HDD. It reports 'no fault found'. I have tried another cable. no effect. Any Suggestions?

Eric10 22:12 05 Jun 2004

Check the jumpers on your hard drive. It should be set as "Single Drive" if used on its own. click here for jumper settings.

Dorsai 14:29 06 Jun 2004

Got the info needed from your link Eric10. non of the other searches I had tried came up with a 'neutral' posistion for the jumper. they all suggested the cable select option, but as my mobo dont support cable select is didn't work. now have a nice fast HDD back. defrag take under 10min's, not 45......

Cheers :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?