I tweked Startup items+get a strange msg-Help!

buel 21:33 19 Jul 2008

Hi there,
just now i decided to erase some start-up items that i didn't need by 'Start, Run, Msconfig.exe' and unticked a few items: AOlsp scheduler+Aoldial(i dont use Aol anymore), Bullguard(dont use), Nerocheck(not sure if i need this?), qttask(Personal Computer World said this was a Apple Quicktime update?), jusched(Sun Java update checker) and Totrec sched(Total Recorder scheduler)',then i unticked the following items in 'Services': Bullguard Liveupdate, BullguardMain Service, Bullguard file monitoring, Bullguard Firewall service, Bullguard email monitoring, Error reporting services!!
My problem is that everytime i restart my Laptop i now get the following message: 'You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts. The System Configuration Utility is currently in diagnostic or selective startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts-choose the normal startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility'
Have i done anything wrong? What shall i do?
All answers will be greatly appreciated- Thankyou-Craig

Technotiger 21:44 19 Jul 2008

Just click on the box - "Don't show this window again". Or words to that effect, I can't remember exactly.

woodchip 21:49 19 Jul 2008

On the old XP pop-up there was a box to tick but don't know if there is with Vista. You could try right click the Message

buel 21:50 19 Jul 2008

Hi there,
just now i decided to erase some start-up items that i didn't need by 'Start, Run, Msconfig.exe' and unticked a few items: AOlsp scheduler+Aoldial(i dont use Aol anymore), Bullguard(dont use), Nerocheck(not sure if i need this?), qttask(Personal Computer World said this was a Apple Quicktime update?), jusched(Sun Java update checker) and Totrec sched(Total Recorder scheduler)',then i unticked the following items in 'Services': Bullguard Liveupdate, BullguardMain Service, Bullguard file monitoring, Bullguard Firewall service, Bullguard email monitoring, Error reporting services!!
My problem is that everytime i restart my Laptop i now get the following message: 'You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts. The System Configuration Utility is currently in diagnostic or selective startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts-choose the normal startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility'
Ps- i am using XP

woodchip 21:54 19 Jul 2008

How come the second post same message

buel 22:37 19 Jul 2008

*BUMP*
Hi there,
Ps- i am using XP

Sea Urchin 23:24 19 Jul 2008

You have asked the same question three times now, and the answers given by Technotiger and woodchip are still the same

buel 06:14 20 Jul 2008

Yes, obviously i realise that i have two answers but i posted the question again but stating that i have XP and not Vista (in case this makes a difference to their answers!) and i wanted any other potential answers so i posted the question again- Just because i had two answers doesn't neccesarily mean thet they are the correct answers does it?

€dstowe 06:52 20 Jul 2008

Far easier and safer to use click here

cocteau48 08:26 20 Jul 2008

"What should I do?"
Undo the changes which you have made and use a start-up utility as €dstowe suggests (personally I prefer WinPatrol but they do much the same job)which will allow you to disable rather than erase anything in your start-up programs.
If you are having difficulty in understanding the messages which are being flagged up then you most certainly should not be "erasing" anything.
.... and just as an aside ... nobody on this forum pretends to "know all about all",(least of all me), but to imply that the advice which you are being offered is "incorrect" is unlikely to help you in your quest for assistance.
These folks are only trying to help YOU after all!

buel 13:23 20 Jul 2008

Thankyou for your help, i must point out that one of my answers was "Just click on the box - "Don't show this window again". Or words to that effect, I can't remember exactly." so that is why i posted again, surely there was no harm in getting someone to verify what Technotiger posted, being as he couldn't remember exactly?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Game of Thrones GIFs: how Eran Mendel is creating hilarious weekly GIFs based on each episode's…

How to increase storage on iPhone

Nokia 8 : rumeurs & soirée de lancement