i-Tunes Removal - Oops! HELP!!!

shazza65 09:13 19 Aug 2006

Please can someone help me before my daughter throws a fit with me. We had i-tunes installed on the computer, I was tinkering last night (like you do) trying to free up some hard disc space. Came to the Quick Time programme and merrily deleted thinking I wouldn't need it.

Unfortunately in the cold light of day, when I tried to go on i-tunes to listen to a song that I had down-loaded, i-tunes wouldn't work because it needed Quick Time, urrrggghhh!!!

After panicking for 10 mins, I had a brain wave and remembered good old System Restore. I ran it picking yesterday because I deleted Quick Time in the early hours this morning.

Tried i-tunes again, still said it needed Quick Time, I thought it would reinstall the programme!

Next idea, went to i-tunes website to reinstall it from there, everything going well till the last bit of install when it said there was an error!

I don't know what to do now, need to get it sorted before she comes home from work as she has downloaded (including myself) many songs from the i-tunes shop recently.

VoG II 09:15 19 Aug 2006
  shazza65 09:21 19 Aug 2006

Hi VOG, same error came up at end of trying to install programme it says "QuickTime installation failed: Error Code: -3".

I think my machine is getting confused!

Not sure what to do now....

shazza65 09:56 19 Aug 2006

I did a defrag last night as well after I removed QuickTime; just gets better doesn't it! Will this have an impact on the situation?

1. I have now, undone my restore point.
2. Found the ipod installation disk and reinstalled software.
3. Spoken to said daughter and found she had backed up all her songs, unlike her mother! - lesson to be learnt somewhere.
4. Tried to run i-tunes again but error saying QuickTime needs to be installed - I thought it was on the ipod software installation disk.

So bascially back to square one, any further suggestions?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:25 19 Aug 2006

Try this:

1) Download Microsoft Windows Install Cleaner: click here;en-us;290301

2) Instal and Run. In the program box, look for any traces of quicktime. When I ran it I had leftover peices of an older version of quicktime. You may only find left over pieces labeled with their version numbers and not the words "quicktime". For example, on my computer I had the words "7.0.2" in the program box. That was the left over quicktime piece for me. Highlight the left over pieces and click "remove".

3) Download the standalone installer for quicktime and install: click here

^wave^ 10:56 19 Aug 2006

do you still have the itunes folder if so it contains all your music and play lists back this up now. you will have to re install files called itunes music library and itunes library plus all your tunes. i would then delete every thing and start again when you have finished copy back the your music and the above two files and all should be ok.

shazza65 16:11 19 Aug 2006

Fruit Bat will try your thing when I've backed up files that ^wave^ said.

^wave^, I have found an iTunes folder which contains Library types folders, silly question now!

How do I back them up??? Do I put in a blank disc and drag the folder or copy it to the CD??

Sorry long time since I did anything sensible with computers!

shazza65 16:44 19 Aug 2006

Well, QuickTime installed and as I type this, I am listening to the Santana track I downloaded from itunes last week. All my daughters music is still intact; although it might not have been thing if they had got lost, RnB not my thing!

Many thanks for all your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 19 Aug 2006

Your welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?