i Tunes - Problem with XP USB drivers

john bunyan 13:18 08 Aug 2009

I have XP Pro, SPA, NET Framework 3.5 - all up to date. Also AVG. 8.5, NN. and SASS.
Until very recently I Tunes was fine. I recently accepted the update to 8.2.1
I bought a new I Pod Classic, but when I attached it, it did not auto detect to register as usual in I Tunes. Device manager revealed " Apple Mobile Device" with a small yew circle and a black ! Mark. On trying to "update driver" both auto and in c:/windows/INF the install failed. I phoned Apple, and uninstalled and reinstalled I Tunes. No avail. The shop checked the I Pod and it was detected there. Looking at other forums, there appears to be a potential problem with the latest I Tunes AppleMobileDevicesSuppport.msi file compared wit the last. Apple say my windows is the problem. All other USB devices are ok. Can anyone help - I think this is to do with the source of the Apple USB drivers.

john bunyan 18:29 08 Aug 2009

Any views?

johnnyrocker 20:09 08 Aug 2009

delete all usb ports in device manager and reboot enabling windows to refresh them

johnny

john bunyan 14:52 10 Aug 2009

Deleting usb ports stopped my wireless mouse, and on re booting as I had no mouse so I could not tell the firewall to let the mouse reinstall! Uventually it came back. In the end every time I tried to "update driver" in device manager" (i Pod) "Access denied" came up. In the end I started in safe mode and then in device manager, this time the drivers installed. Had to do the same for another i Pod. No mention of this by Apple. I guess some process was using the same driver?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?