i tunes file not found

kingussie 09:37 23 Oct 2006

I get the following message increasingly on my i tunes library. "song could not be used because original file could not be found. would you like to locate it". This of course does not work and means my ipod never updates with these songs. Can anyone dsuggest the problem and solution. Someone once mentioned it happened to them when they upgraded to a newer version which I have done ?

FatboySlim71 09:47 23 Oct 2006

I too get this message, what it means is that when the music was on your PC at the time you put it on to your IPOD, you have since deleted the music off of your PC and this message is asking you if you want to locate them as the music can not be found in the appropriate folder. Also your IPOD will not update with these songs as the music has been deleted from your PC. If you go into ITUNES, edit menu, preferences, click on the advanced tab, there should then be three tabs, general, importing, burning, click on the general one and it should show " Itunes music folder location" this is where Itunes looks for music and also when you import tracks from CDS this is where they are ripped to.

kingussie 18:50 25 Oct 2006

Have done all that but does not restore the file and as there are hundreds missing would be impossible to do it all...any ideas

FatboySlim71 21:27 25 Oct 2006

The IPOD only needs and will only update from the music that is in the specified folder, it should update if you have just ripped some tracks off of a cd. The message "song could not be used because original file could not be found. would you like to locate it" is just asking you if you would like to locate the songs that you have in your Itunes library as they have either been deleted or moved to a different location other than the specified folder on your PC.

kingussie 22:00 25 Oct 2006

Canno0t seem to find them so assume they have been deleted but why. The only thing I did was download new updates for i tunes. Someone else said the same thing happened to him

FatboySlim71 23:56 25 Oct 2006

I have never known the tunes to be deleted off of the computer by updating Itunes. What I normally do to save space on my PC is once the tunes are on my IPOD, I then delete the tunes off my PC, as I see little point in leaving the tunes on the PC. It is strange I agree if the tunes have been deleted by updating Itunes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?