I think my pc has a virus? I need advice please.

DannyMcArdle 16:35 19 Jun 2014

So recently my computer has started behaving oddly. First one day I came on and all of my programs and shortcuts on the desktop were randomly jumbled, where before they were grouped in my own little categories.

Then I noticed that whenever I tried to open a second tab on Chrome, it would freeze and the option to kill or wait would come up. Kill never worked when I clicked it, and wait would have a long response time. Then as time went on I noticed chrome would just freeze some of the way in. It then started with another program, iTunes. Sometimes when I clicked on a song, it would highlight as playing but the timer didnt move past 00:00. As it went on the pc would grow slow and actions lagged. Eventually the mouse would become unresponsive so I would use ctrl+alt+del to get task manager. When I pressed that, rather than the expected menu, I got a black screen which would stay black no matter what I did or how long I waited, although I get a notification saying "Failure to display security and shut down options. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch". In the end, I'd have to unplug the pc.

I'm unsure how I could have even gotten a virus, if that is what this is. I haven't had broadband for months, and have only tethered my phones 3G in dire need and made no downloads. I know nothing of fixing these issues and I never use forums so please forgive me if I seem lost when it comes to answers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:04 19 Jun 2014

What operating system? Vista w7?

type

sfc /scannow

in the search box and press OK. let windows scan for and replace missing or corrupt windows files this will take some time. What antivirus program and antimalmare programs are you using?

woodchip 17:08 19 Jun 2014

If you have made an Acronis Backup Restore PC from that. you will lose anything after you made the backup image on the pc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?