I think my laptop is dying and I don't know why...please help

porrell 16:51 06 Feb 2015

Hi All,

I'm currently having some trouble with my laptop, and I'm not sure what the issue is, so I would really appreciate some help.

Background: I have a Samsung NP780ZSE-T02UK. Windows 8.1 Pro. Just over 1 year old. Definitely the best laptop that I have ever owned. Up until a month ago, it ran fast, never had a problem with heat, and was as quiet as a ninja. I would rarely ever hear the fan, and when I did it would be whisper quite.

Problem: Around a month ago it started to slow down, and get REALLY hot, even during relatively light usage (watching a movie or playing music). I don't do gaming or work with huge image files or anything. It has also started freezing randomly, where the pointer will stop moving and I no longer have control, but if music is being played, it keeps playing it. No response from Ctrl-Alt-Del. It has also started making a sort of clicking noise (even from initial start up), sounding like the hard drive (similar the the 'thinking' noise older computers used to make).

Essentially, after 20 min - hour of usage, it starts to get really hot, and the fans start seriously blasting. I even keep the back end propped up 2-3 inches off the desk to give the fan plenty of fresh air. Never used to do this, and it came on quite suddenly so I'm rather worried.

I've ran full scans on Avast and Malwarebytes, run chkdsk, checked SMART status, and all came back fine. Uninstalled all non-essential programs. I've used Speccy to monitor temps, and CPU, motherboard, and GPU all get to be 75C+ when its at its worst. CPU is always the highest, and the HD stays around 36C. I've used compressed air to clear out dust, to no avail. I am reluctant to take off the back to clean the insides as I am still under warranty for a few more months, and I don't want this to void my warranty (covers hardware only).

Any advice would be appreciated. Even as I type this, my temp is going between 67-70C, the fans are blasting, and the laptop feels hot to the touch. Nothing intensive going on, CPU is a 10%. I used to be able to use my laptop on my lap for hours upon hours at a time, without any noise or heat from it. Now its on a desk doing barely anything and it is overheating...what is going on?

Many thanks, I really appreciate your time!

rdave13 17:38 06 Feb 2015

It might be that the thermal paste has deteriorated on the CPU/Cooler. It can happen and the symptoms are showing as over heating. I'd RMA it as it's still under warranty.

wee eddie 20:22 06 Feb 2015

It certainly sounds like overheating.

It wouldn't take long for it to suck in some fluff if, for example, someone used it while lying on the carpet.

How to get rid of this, simply, is a contentious issue. My favoured solution is to nick the family hair dryer. Turn the Lappy off and direct the airflow through the exit port.

If you are set in taking it apart. Put the screws in a saucer, to avoid losing any!

rdave13 20:28 06 Feb 2015

wee eddie pay attention, ' I've used compressed air to clear out dust, to no avail '.

I think porrell has no choice but to contact the retailer with the problems and RMA it pronto before the problem gets terminal.

wee eddie 22:01 06 Feb 2015

Rdave13: I am only a fan of compressed air when you can direct it at a very specific spot.

My suggestion is rather more generic.

wee eddie 22:03 06 Feb 2015

It also costs nothing

rdave13 22:06 06 Feb 2015

wee eddie , copy that, it's a ten-four.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?