I think it is the PSU ?

rupie 00:29 07 Sep 2009

I have a PC, running XP, it is a few years old, built myself. Intel Processor ATX P4 3.40Ghz with Gigabyte Motherboard. It runs a dual monitor ATI GFX
I am having trouble powering up. Sometimes whan I press the power button the power light flashes than the unit goes dead. I have to pull th IEC out the back and replace, try again and it may work on the 2 or third attempt. Sometimes as well there is no beep as it powers up, it does not boot. You cannot hear the HDD and the monitors do not get a signal. You have to hold the power button til is powers down and try again.
Sometimes when I power down it will restart its self as well. I have un clicked the box that says restart on certain errors in the control panel.
When running all is fine.

howard64 08:56 07 Sep 2009

sounds like the psu to me and at least it is one of the cheapest parts to replace before looking at other things.

howard64 08:58 07 Sep 2009

one further thing is to check that the cable connecting the start button on the case to the mobo has not slightly moved or corroded. Lift it off completely then then push it back on again.

rupie 09:35 07 Sep 2009

I have just done that a couple of times, to make sure. I suspect the PSU though because of the GFX card issue. It will be the second PSU failure on this Board, all be it in just over 3 years.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:50 07 Sep 2009

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

rupie 13:46 07 Sep 2009

Thank you.
I have built this PC and changed the PSU once before as the one that came with the case was not powerful enough. I will take it out and then go to the local computer shop with it and the Motherboard manual to get the right one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?