I think i may have broken my PC...

matt_w 15:08 13 Jan 2006

Earler today I fitted a new mobo to my computer. When I switched my computer on there was a loud unhealthy noise for about 5-10 seconds and then the computer cut out leaving a burning smell. I looked inside the case and discovered that I forgot to connect the CPU fan to the mobo.

When I try to start the computer now nothing happens, it seems to be dead, except I get a faint hissing noise for a few seconds when I disconnect the power.

Have I totally destroyed my PC?

Also, I did not apply any thermal compound to the cpu before all this happened, I don't know if that has any significance.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

woodchip 15:11 13 Jan 2006

CPU up the spout

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:52 13 Jan 2006

No fan and No thermal paste means you have fried your CPU.

Jdoki 15:56 13 Jan 2006

Chances are only the CPU has blown.

I managed to destroy a CPU by using a heatsink a colleague assured me was good enough for my shiny new CPU... A few minutes of 'Yes it worked' followed by a pffftttt... and one dead CPU. Needless to say I don't follow his advice any more!

I changed the CPU and everything was fine.

You should definitely use thermal paste - Arctic Silver or Arctic Ceramique are best. I'm sure you've learned a hard lesson that you need to double check every connection. Every system builder will make a mistake like this - and usually only once!

When putting together a system I usually leave the cover off when first starting it up... Even if all connections have been double checked I prefer to see that every fans etc is working normally before closing the case....

matt_w 15:57 13 Jan 2006

Ive been having a good sniff around the case, and the smell seems to be coming form the PSU. Could this have gone?

matt_w 15:59 13 Jan 2006

thanks for the advice Jdoki, I cant believe how stupid I was, we live and learn

woodchip 15:59 13 Jan 2006

Possible and that is where smell tends to come from when the comp goes. I would check that first after sorting the CPU with some paste and Fan

Simsy 16:05 13 Jan 2006

ther was "a loud unhealthy noise for about 5-10 seconds" beforehand may give you reason for hope...

I wouldn't expect a CPU to do that, (though I'm open to correction), but a PSU might.

It you're sure that's where the smell is coming from I'd suggest getting a new PSU, (I don't think they cost much in the scheme of things).

Before restarting however, do as advised and use thermal paste... It's cheap, and you need very little.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

matt_w 16:08 13 Jan 2006

I'm off to the thermal paste shop - thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?