I think I have a virus.

modsteve60s 11:53 30 Jan 2009

Hi
Whenever I search for something on google or yahoo and enter a site a pop up appears advertising something totally unrelated.

I find this a little scary and I don't know what to do to stop it. My virus checker has run, but it hasn't found anything.

Can anyone please help?
Thankyou

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:04 30 Jan 2009

Download Malwarebytes from click here. Install and update it first. Run it and delete all it finds. You may need to run it in safe mode as well.

G

modsteve60s 12:07 30 Jan 2009

I keep pressing the link, but it doesn't work.
Sorry for sounding an idiot, but would the virus prevent it from working?

birdface 12:53 30 Jan 2009

Try this link.click here
Make sure you press the free one.And remember to update it and then run.
Another good one is Superantispyware free.
click here

modsteve60s 16:39 30 Jan 2009

I used malwarebytes and it seems to have got rid of 5 Trojan. (Fake Alert, Trojan DNSChanger, Trojan Agent....whatever all that means). I also ran it safe mode and again in ordinary mode. It doesn't find anything.
I have been in contact with my bank and they have said nothing untoward has changed, nobody's been after my money thus far.
I suppose I will have to hope that they won't or I'm not some victim of identy. It's a scary old business this computing.
Very many thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

birdface 17:13 30 Jan 2009

[It's a scary old business this computing.] It is and getting worse.Might help if you can tell us what Ati-Virus.Firewall.And Anti-Spyware programs that you have installed.And we will see if we can recommend anything else that you may need.

modsteve60s 17:56 30 Jan 2009

It's called McAfee. For some reason under the section Internet and Network there's a little green dot next to something called idenity protection, but firewall doesn't seem to be running. I don't know what either does, but I can't seem to get friewall to work. I seem also to have microsoft spynet (Basic membership).
I don't know if that means anything to you, it doesn't much to me.

modsteve60s 18:24 30 Jan 2009

I don't know if this is of help

i.e.

Memory Process Infected: 0
Memory Module Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 6
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 5

birdface 21:13 30 Jan 2009

No.Not sure about microsoft spynet.Something to do with Windows Defender.Are you using Vista.McAfee is it the security suite.If so you will have to make sure it is all running including the Firewall or you will get some more unwanted visitors.If you cant get McAfee Firewall to run turn Windows firewall on temporary.Plenty of free programs about.
Memory Process Infected: 0
Memory Module Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 6
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 5
Was that a list of the programs that malwarebytes removed.

modsteve60s 10:46 03 Feb 2009

Sorry for the delay in getting back.
No it didn't seem to get rid of all of them. I have now, however, been in contact with my laptop's manufacturer and asked if I reset the computer to factory settings that will get rid of the Trojan once and for all. So this is what I've done so hopefully it'll do. I have also downloaded you suggestions as well Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. If you bare in mind it's the first time I've been on this computer since I've restated Malwarebytes has already found an 'Objects infected 1'. My Firewall on McAfee Security Centre says it's working fine..so is everything else. Can you tell me how after returning to factory settings, I already have an infection? I ddon't understand it.

birdface 11:46 03 Feb 2009

Download and install this if you do not already have it.make sure you update it and enable all protection.click here That stops things from getting into your computer.Just update it once a fortnight and it does the rest.Also maybe download Wot.
This one is for I/Explorer if you use Firefox just google for that one.click here That will warn you if you are about to open any bad websites.Your Anti-Virus should stop most things from getting onto your computer so make sure that is set to automatic update.Since restoring to factory settings you may have installed one of your favorites that has already been infected and maybe that is what Malwarebytes has found.i have been using malwarebytes for over 6 months now and never found a thing yet.So you must be doing something wrong are you using Limewire or any programs like that for downloading music films etc.That is where you normally expect to get problems from.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?