I take that the HDD has gone KAPUT

freefx 08:45 23 Jul 2005

My PC suddenly cant boot to my secondary HDD although the BIOS still 'sees/detects' it. Even if i boot to my windows XP on my master HDD, the operating system could not detect my secondary Disk. So do I take that it has gone KAPUT? i tried to repair the MBR using fixmbr but not sure how to do it correctly.

Cant anyone suggest how i can recover my files from this failed HDD?

jack 08:52 23 Jul 2005

Cant think houw MBR wouldl sort out a failed piece of hardware.
However carry out the following.
1. take cover of the box
place and on the dodgy drive- can you feel it running?
If yes- simple now ensure the data cable is fully home BOTH ENDS and the power is fully home also.
Also go to the drive makers website and down load any Check/Repair-software they may have and run it.

Then try once more - cables can and do work out one pin out and it dont run.

However if it is dead then dead it is- recover is possible - for the price of a new computer probably.

Mikè 09:07 23 Jul 2005

Not an expert on these matters but don't you need some sort of boot manager installed to to this?

freefx 09:52 23 Jul 2005

Disk is running allright as the bios can dtect the make and size of the disk , just that windows doesnt want to know. Cables are all plugged in correctly.

jack 11:57 23 Jul 2005

OK now go the Makers web site to see what software they offer for remedial work.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:21 23 Jul 2005

Hard disk checks before you condemn it
click here

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here
Maxblast3 click here

howard60 13:32 23 Jul 2005

try removing the ide cable and putting in the one for the cd drives. Check for cable select/master/slave and see if it can be recognised and used like this.

phono 02:48 25 Jul 2005

Bookmarked.

Terry Brown 07:19 25 Jul 2005

Have you tried a different cable as it a possibilty that that cable has gone duff ,i.e. one of the pins not connecting properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone