I reset my BIOS for my computer

Prongshorn 14:23 14 Jun 2015

Hi, I reset my BIOS for my computer, by taking the battery out because I tried to install the ePSXe emulator, but I couldn't get it to run and when I booted up my PC the start up screen was off-centre. So I reset the BIOS and now my PCs working fine again, but I'm not really sure what it meant to reset the BIOS. I think my PC was overclocked or something and I'm not sure if by doing that I've messed it up?

My pc is : click here if this is a really dumb question, I'm a complete noob at PC stuff :(enter link description here

Sorry

Ian in Northampton 14:29 14 Jun 2015

The key thing is: if everything's working as it was, then you've probably done no harm. BIOS = basic input/output system and, at the lowest level, it tells the computer what it is, where everything is and what to do before trying to load e.g. Windows. You can make changes in the BIOS, such as the order in which you want it to look at devices to boot from (e.g. if you want it to look for an operating system on the optical drive before it looks on the hard drive). It's also where you would change important things about its operating characteristics, such as uprating the processor speed ("overclocking"). All you've done by resetting the BIOS is to return your PC to how it was when it left the factory. Yes, if it was overclocked, then it will likely not be overclocked any more - but you may well not notice any difference.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:47 14 Jun 2015

Yes it was overclocked from 3.5Ghz to 4.3Ghz

it will be back to 3.5, don't worry as it will be less stressed and you'll not notice unless really heavy gaming.

Prongshorn 14:57 14 Jun 2015

Thank you, I was just worried it wouldn't be as powerful as before, I probably won't notice anything?

Prongshorn96 15:43 14 Jun 2015

Had to create a new account because it wouldn't let me change my password -.-. I managed to get onto a menu on the bootup screen by pressing delete, and found a preset to put it back onto 4.2Ghz, is that safe to do? Thanks for all your help!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:57 14 Jun 2015

Yes Chillblast have probably set it up that way.

Prongshorn96 16:08 14 Jun 2015

Ah okay, thank you for all the help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?