i receive updates, then have trouble login on

bonkers bill 12:14 15 Jan 2007

Hello, i have XP and use BT Broadband. Prblem, if i receive an update or upgrade from BT or Macaffy, possibly others too, my desktop icons to log onto BT Yahoo including shortcuts to websites work very intermitently, some times it takes me 1 hour of turning my computer off and on again before i can log on. i also have explorer which will always log on no matter what. i have spent 25 hours on the phone with BT and probably 50 hours on the help desk. After a few weeks of hassle my computer sorts the problem out until the next update or upgrade, the same happens with help from BT, but they dont know what the underlying problem is. Does any one know what this problem is?

Dan S 13:45 15 Jan 2007

BT do know what the problem is, Bill, it's just that they don't like telling you that it's their software that's duff.

If you have BT Broadband Desktop help installed, it might be worth uninstalling it; you evidently have a connection already and it is notorious inside BT for causing more trouble than it's worth, so I recommend you get rid of it.

Also, unless you're especially fond of the BT Yahoo! Browser, you can do with out it too. In fact, what BT neglect to inform customers is that unless they're connecting via USB, they don't need anything from the CD they supply. In most cases, they're better without it.

bonkers bill 14:45 15 Jan 2007

Thanks Dan S, i have noticed it is mostly when i get updates from desk top help, i will remove it, i have been thinking of changing to Sky Broadband as it is much cheaper and i have sky and could also get the phone with them. Thanks for your help, Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?