I Pad cannot find my location

popgeoff 15:00 04 Nov 2014

Used iPad and iPad Mini in California with no problems identifying my location. Returned to UK and find that my location cannot be found. Did the same trip last year with no problems on return.Maps seems to think I am still in USA. Tried various forums and suggestions to no avail,. Any thoughts please.

Zak 16:18 04 Nov 2014

Is this on WiFi? Try resetting the Network Connection settings.

Zak 16:20 04 Nov 2014

Add Have you also tried hard reset? Try that after Network Connection reset if still not working.

john bunyan 16:45 04 Nov 2014

I found that function has had a problem since the Ios 8.1 update. A Iphone 4s still shows OK - still on Ios 7; the iPad says "no Location available" but it has the same settings as before.

popgeoff 18:26 04 Nov 2014

Zak. Yes it is on wi-fi. John Bunyan. Same here on iPhone that's fine. Wife's iPad mini on os 7.1 is partially ok but opens up in Palm Springs California in Google Maps. My iPad using Maps opens up in Calgary Alberta. Never been there !! I did a reset which made no difference. Flummoxed !

Woolwell 18:32 04 Nov 2014

It would seem that your iPads still think that you are using USA wifi locations. It may well sort itself out within a short while.

john bunyan 19:01 04 Nov 2014

popgeoff

Yes, same here on Google maps since Ios 8.1 on I pad. Hope they sort it out - I tried all the usual of turning off etc.

Woolwell 08:59 05 Nov 2014

As I understand it Wifi only iOS systems rely for location on wifi around it and this depends on how good that is. See Apple Suuport.

It may be worthwhile turning off location services, rebooting and then turning the location services back on.

Personally I've never had a major problem with location on an iPad. For a while my PC thought that I was either in Exeter or Scotland (neither of which it was in) but this was due to the ISP.

popgeoff 13:10 05 Nov 2014

Hi Woolwell. I tried rebooting a couple of times over the last 7 days to no avail. Just did another reboot and , Hey Presto Maps found mu location. Google Maps and Flight Radar 24 still cannot locate me but we seem to be getting there. Thanks.

popgeoff 15:34 05 Nov 2014

Oh Dear Back to the drawing board. It has reverted to being unable to find my location ! Getting ridiculous.

Woolwell 15:43 05 Nov 2014

Not just a reboot but try turning location services off and on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?