I need sound advice!

kidda123 20:42 09 Feb 2009

Hi,

I recently built a HTPC with Blu Ray etc and from the visual side all is good.

The sound however is a different matter. I thought I would just be able to plug in my 3.5 jack into the PC and then the Phono leads into my Dolby amp and hey presto! Dolby Surround.

Never assume eh?

So what I want to know is what is the best possible connection solution from PC to Dolby amp for Surround Sound??

I am using my onboard sound and I have a light blue, lime green and Pink connector. My Motherboard manual says that I can connect the front speakers to the Lime green, the surround speakers to the Light Blue and the Sub and centre to the Pink.

Would buying a sound card with optical (toslink) be a better option for sound.

I also have a 3.5 connector at the front of the PC for SPDIF??

Confused!

Cheers

Kidda123

Technotiger 21:10 09 Feb 2009

A dedicated Sound card, like Creative Audigy series would most certainly be your best way to go!

click here

Technotiger 21:13 09 Feb 2009

This one would do it for you, without being OTT.

Technotiger 21:14 09 Feb 2009
  kidda123 09:59 10 Feb 2009

Thank you Technotiger,

I will invest in a sound card as advised but can someone explain to me how the connection system works. I want the best possible sound so what is the best connection to my AV amp?

Will it be optical (toslink), Analog (lots of cables!!) or digital (coaxial)?

I'm afraid I do not understand the differences and benefits of each type?

Cheers.

Technotiger 10:06 10 Feb 2009

It will be a straightforward Audio cable with usually 3.5mm mini-jack on each end, or mini-jack on one end and phono connections on the other. Have a look at this link and click on the 3.5 and Phono link to see the cables.

click here

You would connect Line-out from the Amp, to Line-in on the Sound card.

Technotiger 10:10 10 Feb 2009

PS - there should also be Connection Instructions with the Sound Card.

For best overall results, you could complete the setup with a decent set of Speakers, either 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound. NB: More speakers = more cables!

Graphicool1 10:23 10 Feb 2009

Download Soundblaster User Guide...
click here

kidda123 10:31 10 Feb 2009

I have a home cinema set up already for a SD DVD player, CD player and Sky Box. Now that I have introduced the PC into the equation I was a bit confused on the way to connect. After your advice yesterday I have looked at some sound cards with optical out and wondered if that would be better for 5.1 sound?

I have optical inputs on my Denon AV amp.

Cheers.

kidda123 13:55 11 Feb 2009

Can anyone give any further details on my posting.

I guess I really want to know the difference between connecting Analog or Digital. Which is going to be better for my 5.1 experience??

Technotiger 14:18 11 Feb 2009

Go with Analog, Digital in my experience is very rarely used in a home setup.

I have HiFi/2xVHS VCR's/DVD Player-Recorder/TV Digibox/TV/Video-Audio Mixer/22" LCD TV-PC Monitor and PC all interconnected, using Analog only.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?