I need a printer

peper1 22:01 15 Jan 2006

I have just purchased my first computer and I would be grateful if anyone is able to recommend a decent printer for around £100. It needs to be able to print letters etc and the occasional photo.

Totally-braindead 22:05 15 Jan 2006

Look at the PCA charts in the magazine and see if theres one there that meets your budget. I personally like Epson and would be looking at one of them if I was looking for a new printer, mainly because you can use cheap compatible cartridges, hence the running costs are low.

mammak 22:51 15 Jan 2006

I agree with Totally-braindead (He's not by the way Lol)Epson is a good choice I myself have had a one or two of this brand and have had no problems with them to date good luck with your choice in printers, Kind Reagrds Mammak.

mammak 22:53 15 Jan 2006

"Kind Regards" even sorry.

Bagsey 23:25 15 Jan 2006

Epson Photo R240 at PC World.
Check out their website and order from the web as they are cheaper. However if you live near a PC World store order on the web but ask to collect from store then you get the web price. Refuse the printer cable as you will get one for a third of the price from most other places. eg Maplins. Get ink from click here at £0.99 per cartridge. That beats PC World £12.00 I think :-))

wee eddie 23:33 15 Jan 2006

They are coming on very heavy with the Alternative Ink Market and may be attempting to build machines that are not able to use 3rd Party supplies.

I use Canon myself but hold no particular brief for their new machines.

One piece of advice though.

Buy a Printer that has individual tanks for each colour of ink.

chriscross72 09:44 16 Jan 2006

Canon pixma ip3000 faultless in my opinion.....separate ink tanks....prints with 2 feeds for ordinary paper and photo paper....prints onto blank cd and dvd discs too all for around £80

Totally-braindead 16:06 16 Jan 2006

I haven't seen the Canon pixma ip3000 myself but from what I remember it got good reviews. PCAs best buy was the Epson Stylus Photo D88 at £69. Amazon are doing it for a touch under £60 inc P&P click here .If it was for photos specifically I'd maybe consider the Epson R200 click here touch over £60. If you very seldom print photos then the cheapest thing to get is a laser, admitadly it only prints black and white but if you print a lot of letters you'll save a fortune click here just as an example.

BigL 20:54 16 Jan 2006

Try the Epson CX6600 MFD from Argos (The well known computer store) £99.99 while stocks last. Scans, prints and copies. Must be a bargain!

keith-236785 21:12 16 Jan 2006

argos are doing a Brother DCP-110c printer/scanner/copier at £50, seperate ink tanks, front loading paper tray, quick and not too noisy. ink costs £15 for a black and £7.99 each for the colours so not too bad i suppose.

i am impressed with the quality of the black/colour printing but the photos seem slightly washed out (i never have had any luck printing photos, i let Boots do mine) the brother also has a media card reader so you can print straight from a camera card if you want.

all in all, the best £50 i have spent lately apart from the wifes christmas pressy lol.

ps. this printer is also supported in linux (download from brother website) though its a pain in the ass to set up (im a linux newby) but i have managed to do it. drivers are included for windows and Mac.

keith-236785 09:50 17 Jan 2006

oops, sorry....update to my above post, the printer is now £79.99 it was on special offer but that must now have finished.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017