I need photo recovery before Vista Factory Restore

Covergirl 08:51 11 Feb 2009

I think I just need recommendations for an image to write a bootable CD/DVD. I've got file recovery software on a stick but any recs for others appreciated

Manufacturers warranty now expired, so looking to fit a wireless network card. I fiddled with the processor cooling fan / heatsink and it fell off about a day later. Previously stable system will now not "Start Vista normally" - it tries but keeps rebooting after 20-30 seconds. The only other option is to do a "System Repair" which looks to be doing a full factory re-install. I've watched the progress of this on a recent Acer laptop Factory Restore and it appears very similar. I switched off at Select Operating System before it went too far.

I'd like to boot from a CD (or DVD) and use something like "Recuva" to find and save any photos I haven't backed up in the last week. If I continue with the re-install, there's a chance that some pics will be overwritten, so any ideas on the best way to do this please?

I have a laptop, CD/DVD burner and internet connection so no problem with that side of things.

I've already tried a K-Ubuntu demonstration disc which boots the system fine, but I can't find the C: drive (due to lack of knowledge of Linux).

Thanks in advance

crosstrainer 09:01 11 Feb 2009

Vista recovery installation: Foillow the steps very carefully, and you should not lose data:

click here

Technotiger 09:04 11 Feb 2009
  Technotiger 09:05 11 Feb 2009

Ooops, sorry a slight typo ..

click here

Technotiger 09:07 11 Feb 2009

AHHHGGG ...
click here

Sorry about the two previous mistakes, this one will work.

brundle 09:15 11 Feb 2009

Big download but always handy to have around; click here

I'm not familiar with 6.01, but I doubt it's much different to 5.01 in terms of finding drives.

Boot from CD, on most systems your HD ought to show up immediately on the desktop top as hda1

Use K3b to burn directly to CD, or plug in a flash drive (which will show up as sd0/1/2 etc) and copy across.

Rescue guide and additional if the drives don't show up immediately; click here

Chris the Ancient 11:13 11 Feb 2009

My favourite (free) recovery program - used many times to recover lost images...
click here

Covergirl 12:26 11 Feb 2009

Thanks for the link Crosstrainer
That detailed procedure at bleepingcomputer gives me reassurance that I might not lose all my data. I will give it a try tonight.

Technotiger - thanks for the link (eventually!) :-)

Brundle - I'll give that a go as well if Restore goes awry. The K-Linux showed me the contents of my USB keys - all three - but I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the HDD was, so maybe that "Rescue Guide" might help.

Chris the Ancient - vielen dank. Oh, there IS a language drop down box . . . :-)

Covergirl 05:31 12 Feb 2009

The bleeping computer procedure:
Last night I tried it without inserting a DVD and it failed to find an OS. Got to figure 9 and tried a Startup Repair without any luck. The Command Prompt could only find a virtual recovery disc X:
System Restore (to an earlier time) wanted an OS present so failed too.
Will try again tonight with the Factory Recovery DVD.
Just downloading Knoppix now - speeds last night of c.500kbps meant an estimated time of about 3 hours. Tchhh!

crosstrainer 07:24 12 Feb 2009

You seem to have a recovery partition on your hdd. That's why the repair failed. This recovery feature should be accessed via your BIOS but if you use it, it will only restore defaults (not programmes and pictures etc.)

laurie53 10:22 12 Feb 2009

You make a good case for a separate partition for data! lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?