I need a new power supply for my gfx card

Bill Baker 09:17 18 Jun 2007

I've got a new Acer Aspire T180 PC and want to upgrade to a decent graphics card. Unfortunately the power supply is a FSP Group ATX-250PA and only rated at 250w, so I guess I need to upgrade that too.

Would any higher watt ATX power supply be ok for my PC and would it be easy to swap with the old one.
And would it come with all the right connectors to reconnect to the motherboard etc. ?

Any ideas where to get one?
Many thanks

Technotiger 09:22 18 Jun 2007

Hi, I would suggest at least a 500w PSU ...

click here

Technotiger 09:24 18 Jun 2007

See also Fruit Bat's comments here ...

click here

Bill Baker 09:33 18 Jun 2007

Thanks.
The ones in your link have power switches on them, but mine doesn't. Would that make any difference?
Also I need to know if they come with all the relevant cables and plugs to attach back to everything inside the pc.

Technotiger 10:15 18 Jun 2007

Yes, the power switch is a very good thing - most modern PSU's have them these days. They do come with all the relevant cables.

Notice also Fitting Guide in my second link above.

Technotiger 10:22 18 Jun 2007

"The ones in your link have power switches on them, but mine doesn't. Would that make any difference?"

No, would not make any difference, except to make things easier for you in future.

Bill Baker 17:48 20 Jun 2007

Thanks Technotiger,
I bought a new PSU from the link you suggested and my new gfx card runs great.

Technotiger 19:30 20 Jun 2007

Grreat, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?