I need educating about LAN connections

wobblymike 20:31 04 Mar 2005

Can some wise forum member please educate about LAn connections I have an on board LAN connection labelled sis 900 based PCI fast ethernet adaptor (it is on board - not a PCI card) what does it do? can I connect broadband to it? if so how?
A quick course would be much appreciated

Mike

TomJerry 20:51 04 Mar 2005

Local Area Network. If you want to link a few computer locally together, you need it.

Yes, you can connect to BB with it if your BB modem has Ethernet connection. However, almost all "free" BB modems supplied by ISPs use usb connection, not ethernet connection

if you do not use it, it is better to disable it, you can do it in "bios" which you can get into by press "del" immediatly when you switch on PC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:53 04 Mar 2005

Lan = Local Area Network

Several computers can connect together via a router, with a patch cable connecting each computer to the router

2 computers can connect without a router provided they use a crossover cable.

Broad band can be supplied via cable (eg ntl) AND A MODEM to convert the signals the modem can be connected by cable to the LAN or via a USB port.

ADSL telephone Broad Band connects telephone line to modem and USB from modem to PC.

SEASHANTY 21:13 04 Mar 2005

The standalone cable modems supplied by NTL (free)
made by Ambit International have both USB and ethernet connections. The NTL engineer who supplied mine told me that they prefer using ethernet as sometimes the drivers cause problems on USB. Mine has been working perfectly on ethernet for well over two years now.

wobblymike 21:44 04 Mar 2005

guys

i'm much obliged

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017