I need advice on buying a pc.

JoshuaLeivers 13:06 19 Oct 2014

I have been looking at a pc and I wanted to know how well it would run with some certain games. The pc is: click here . I wanted to know whether it would run games like Arma III, Rust, Space Engineers or Garry's Mod. Would it run well?

Ian in Northampton 13:34 19 Oct 2014

Your first job is to Google those games and "system requirements". That'll take you to pages like this which will tell you the minimum and recommended hardware. Generally, I'm guessing you'll find that it's the relatively cheap graphics card in the configuration you're talking about that lets you down. In the case of Arma II, for example, your proposed system meets the minimum spec for the game (which would give you a barely adequate gameplay experience) but falls well short of the graphics card noted as 'recommended'. The processor and memory in the system you have in mind are good; I'd have questions about the power supply (it's adequate wattage, but doesn't specify the manufacturer and it's an area you don't want to skimp); but the graphics card isn't a very good one.

JoshuaLeivers 13:41 19 Oct 2014

What would be good but cheap graphics card that would be be within the recommended requirements?

Ian in Northampton 13:44 19 Oct 2014

You need to do as I suggested: go to the systems requirements pages, identify the recommended graphics card, then price them. You'll quickly find that, as with so many things, you get what you pay for. Good graphics cards don't come cheap. There are no short cuts: that's why decent gaming machines are expensive.

JoshuaLeivers 13:46 19 Oct 2014

I just found out it is apparently an Corsair VS450 power supply unit.

spuds 13:47 19 Oct 2014

Regarding the link that you have provided I see that there are 57 customer reviews that all seem favourable (4.6 stars out of 5.0), plus 80 questions on that particular computer. I don't know if you have bothered to check any of that information, but if not, then possibly have a look, because perhaps most of the answers might solve any problems.

I note that particular computer as been around since 17 January 2013, so that is possibly why the £200.00 reduction on price is being made, with still good reviews.

spuds 13:52 19 Oct 2014

500 watts seems to work on this particular computer, and Corsair is a noted reliable name. But for intensive gaming, then you might be looking for something of higher power, but at this stage I would not bother to much.

Ian in Northampton 14:01 19 Oct 2014

As a benchmark, I'd suggest - others may disagree - you should be looking at between £100 and £150 for a graphics card, which should give you a pretty good experience on most games. The one in the PC you're looking at is a £50 graphics card. My son is a pretty dedicated gamer, and gets good results with a GTX660.

JoshuaLeivers 14:16 19 Oct 2014

I found a graphics card. The Radeon HD 7850. Would I need to upgrade the power supply for that, and if so, what to?

Ian in Northampton 14:22 19 Oct 2014

That's certainly a better card. AMD specifies a minimum 500w PSU for it, although it seems others have run it with a lower-rated PSU. You might be fine.

JoshuaLeivers 14:27 19 Oct 2014

Would the CPU be able to handle it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?