i lost my internet connection please heeeelp!!!

pinu 10:12 18 Apr 2008

i have a small network at home
PC 1: which is connected to the router (MSI RG60G) directly (RG 45 socket)
PC 2: with a network card (Wireless Ranlink Lan card)
and a Laptop with an integraded wireless card.
All were working well until i suddenly lost the internet connection from PC 2 only!
the wierd thing is that i can still access the router,My network places and Remote Desktop!!!
Both PC1 and PC2 are using XP sp2 with same updates. I even formated the C drive of PC 2, so i don't think it's a bug, in the run>cmd>ipconfig ip address is correct. in the task bar, the Wireless Ranlink Lan card details is detecting the MSI router perfectly. in PC 2 I do not have a Lan socket so i can't connect the pc directly to the router or ISP moden
my internet connection is a local Cable network

recap 19:34 18 Apr 2008

Run the ipconfig again but add /all after the ipconfig [with a space between the two] this will show the whole ipconfig details including the name of the workgroup and PC. It may be one of those that has changed?

Also check the Event Viewer for any errors that are related to the connection.

Event Viewer: Start/Control Panel/Adminastrative Tools/Event Viewer/system log.

pinu 09:04 19 Apr 2008

thanks for your interest in solving my prob.i have tried what you adviced me to do and all looks fine.the fact that i have restored the hard disk (by using an image) and the problem persisted, it's giving me the idea that it's a hardware prob.my big Q is how is it possible to connect to the router/my network/remote desktop and no internet?? this is weird.is there a setting in the router to allow/deny internet connection for a specific pc which makes part of the network??

setecio 09:36 19 Apr 2008

Yes there is often 'mac filtering' hich can block or allow PC based on their network aapters mac address.

pinu 12:40 19 Apr 2008

I'm sorry for my ignorance but is that the Mac address control window? if it is, well everything is correct, all 3 pcs details are correct.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?