I Link

  geedad 22:35 14 Sep 2006

Anyone know anything about I Link socket, and what its for?
What is the name of the cable to se with it?

  splatter 22:47 14 Sep 2006

I believe iLink is a type of connection on Sony kit.

Infact, it might just be firewire with a posh sony name.

Of course I could be wrong!

  De Marcus™ 22:50 14 Sep 2006

"Infact, it might just be firewire with a posh sony name.

Of course I could be wrong!"

No, your quite right.

  De Marcus™ 22:50 14 Sep 2006

Other name variations are:




  skidzy 23:01 14 Sep 2006

Firewire/i-Link/IEEE1394 = the same thing.

Used for downloading from your DV camcorder,Some external harddrives/Some set top boxes and Music systems.

Hope this makes it easier to understand geedad

  geedad 09:06 15 Sep 2006

De Marcus™
Thank you all for your comments. What cable would I need for transfer of VHS tapes to the Sony iLink socket?

  geedad 09:31 15 Sep 2006

De Marcus™

Just had a closer look at the Sony socket - underneath it shows S400.

  silverous 09:36 15 Sep 2006

ilink isn't for VHS connectivity (your VHS recorder is unlikely to have a firewire output).

For VHS you just need a video capture card that you connect your VHS player to and some software. PC world will have various types or you can order online, I'm sure recommendations will be forthcoming here if you want/need them.

iLink/Firewire/IEEE1394 was most often used for DV Camcorder connections but then started being used for hard drives, ipods etc.

  skidzy 15:27 15 Sep 2006

You may be better off buying a stanalone dvd/vcr recorder.Im sure you will find this easier to work.

Just an idea after a quick Google click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?