I killed my PC - help!

iamspart 19:07 20 Jan 2008

Well not exactly my PC but my brothers, which makes it worse.

I was installing a wireless card from one old desktop to my brothers desktop and whilst I was removing the card I thought I may as well put the ram form the old desktop in as well.

However the ram didn't fit into my brothers PC and I removed and reinserted his ram.

When I turned it on the PC started up and then almost straight away died. There was a smell like I had blown something, so I thought I'd blown the power supply.

When I restarted the PC, the fans start and there's some HD activity but nothing on screen. The monitor doesn't recognize the system at all.

If I leave it the fans just continue to spin but nothing happens on screen.

I've tried a different Power Supply, but that didn't work. I've checked the monitor, tht work ok with another system. I've tried resetting the CMOS and removing and reinserting the ram. However it all results in doing what it did in the first place.

Have I messed up the ram somehow? Do i need to buy new ram?

Your help would be gratefully appreciated!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:14 20 Jan 2008

When I restarted the PC, the fans start and there's some HD activity but nothing on screen.

Sounds like graphics card, tried a remove and refit or another card?

MAJ 19:16 20 Jan 2008

You might have knocked the graphics card, if it's a stsndalone card, rather than an onboard graphics chip. Try reseating the graphics card.

iamspart 19:19 20 Jan 2008

It's an onboard graphics chip, I've tried another card, but still nothing

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:31 20 Jan 2008

Is the monitor blank or says no signal?

Have you proved the monitor and cable on another PC?

iamspart 19:41 20 Jan 2008

says no signal

and i've tried the monitor and cable on another pc, same as before

woodchip 19:55 20 Jan 2008

was the ram the same type of ram with same slots in it. or did you force it

iamspart 19:58 20 Jan 2008

no i dont think the ram was the same, i kind of forced it. Then realised afterwards that it was different

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:00 20 Jan 2008

Oh dear monitor OK then graphics chip, motherboard or CPU. If lucky maybe BIOS settings incorrect.

Make sure you are booting with no devices plugged into USB ports etc.

TRy resetting the CMOS to default values by using the CMOS clear jumper or by removing the CMOS bttery for a few minutes.

woodchip 20:06 20 Jan 2008

Looks like you have blown the motherboard by damaging Ram slots

iamspart 20:13 20 Jan 2008

try resetting the CMOS - no joy

woodchip - so i'll need to replace the motherboard to fix it? Or can i just replace a part on the motherboard?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?