I keep getting a bad image warning

Ambasedor 10:55 06 Nov 2013

When I start my PC on which I am running XP I get the following message each time i try to open that program. Also it will not fully load untill I have OK'd each start up program.

program name here....exe –Bad Image This application or DLL C:\Windows\System32\SHDOCVW.dll is not a… valid Windows image. Please check against your installation diskette

I have tried running sfc /scannow but to no avail.

Anyone any ideas please.

lotvic 12:55 06 Nov 2013

Few more things to try click here

lotvic 12:57 06 Nov 2013

Is it just one program that gives that error? have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the program?

Ambasedor 11:57 11 Nov 2013

Hi Lotvic. No as soon as i click any program i get the bad image warning. When I click OK it either goes away and the program runs or another pops up and i do the same until no more pop up for that prog and it then runs.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:20 11 Nov 2013

Seems to be a problem after installing sp3 one of the later updates sorts it out.

Check you have all the updates for XP.

Ambasedor 12:38 11 Nov 2013

Hi Fruit Bat. Yes now i think about it my PC has recently installed updates when I shut down and the trouble started after that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:49 11 Nov 2013

can you do a system restore to before the problem started?

Ambasedor 14:37 11 Nov 2013

I had thought of that but when i go into help and support i only get the manufacturers help page. i.e. hp. I cant find where else it is.

Ambasedor 14:57 11 Nov 2013

Found it

Ambasedor 16:13 11 Nov 2013

I have done a system restore and so far it has sorted the problem. Thanks guys.

woodchip 07:56 12 Nov 2013

You need to set ms updates to manual not automatic

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?