I hit my laptop and now it's broke...

Templeton_Peck 17:04 27 Dec 2008

Yes, in a fit of pique, I punched my laptop keyboard and this caused the screen to freeze and I had to turn it off by the power button in order to turn it back on.

However, it won't turn back on. The power button lights up and the laptop is making a noise but seems quieter than usual and the screen remains blank.

I guess I'm going to have to find an engineer to look at it but was wondering if anyone has any self-help tips as out in the sticks for next few days.

Thanks in advance for any help.

MAT ALAN 17:07 27 Dec 2008

but was wondering if anyone has any self-help tips

Absolutely NONE, you will probably make it worse...

Marko797 17:08 27 Dec 2008

I drove my car into a brick wall in a 'fit of pique' and now it won't work...what d'you expect? Price you pay for utter stupidity in my book.

bjh 17:09 27 Dec 2008

Well, I have one.

Ensure that all keys are elevated. Pressing multiples may well lock some down, and this'll interrupt the boot process.

If you've cranked the internals, that won't help.

Thatslife 17:11 27 Dec 2008

It sounds....what's the technical term?? Broken! You could open it up and see if you've dislodged any connections but it's a long shot I feel.

Pineman100 17:12 27 Dec 2008

Self-help tips? Well, yes...

... don't hit computers. They don't like it.

Templeton_Peck 17:15 27 Dec 2008

Thank you to the first 3 respondants.

I know it was stupid, but it's more like I intentionally drove my car into a wall, there's no external damage but it's still not properly working. Is there something which could have become dislodged which would be easy to check/fix?

All keys are elevated so none look as if they're interrupting the start-up process.

Don't suppose anyone can recommend someone in London (as central as possible) to have a look please? More worried about retrieving files (I'm self-employed so a lot of work). Irony is I got a memory stick thing for Christmas to copy my work onto in case of my laptop breaking down but not got around to using it...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:15 27 Dec 2008

Disconnect power cable
disconnect battery
remove hard drive
remove memory modules

press and hold power button for 30 seconds (while repaeting .. I must remain calm...)

refit memory
refit hard drive
refit battery
reconnect power lead
attempt to reboot.

sunnystaines 17:18 27 Dec 2008

if you had dropped it you could have claimed on home insurance.

Templeton_Peck 17:22 27 Dec 2008

Well I'll open it up and have a look inside. I do have a tendancy to get electric shocks, do I need to do anything before I open it up?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:24 27 Dec 2008

do I need to do anything before I open it up?

As my post above it my just be a dislodge drive or memory module.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le combat entre McGregor et Mayweather ?