I have Win7 64 bit, I want to add XP, but make it non bootable - how?

Graphicool1 10:49 21 Mar 2014

The heading says most of it. What It doesn't say is that I also want to add Win7 32bit on separate partitions. I don't want either to be able to boot. Is this possible and if so how do I go about it.

onthelimit1 11:05 21 Mar 2014

I'm sorry I don't know the answer, but would be interested to know why you want to do it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:15 21 Mar 2014

I don't want either to be able to boot.

How do you expect to use them then?

lotvic 11:24 21 Mar 2014

Some sort of Virtual Machine? (Just guessing..)

Graphicool1 12:12 21 Mar 2014

onthelimit1

"but would be interested to know why you want to do it."

Because regarding XP I have a programme that isn't as good on any other OS and was never updated by the makers. As for W7 32bit I have many (at the time) free programmes. That if I wanted to get now I would have to buy.

Fruit Bat /\0/\

"How do you expect to use them then?"

As for XP Microsoft have already said they intend to disown it in April this year. So there wont be any more updates. So it doesn't need to be online.

Where W7 is concerned, I could add that as a clone. People use PC's offline, so unless you're wanting to get updates or use the Internet, it isn't necessary to go online. I want them to run only as programmes that have add-ons.

BRYNIT 12:49 21 Mar 2014

Your post is a little confusing?

You say you have Win 7 and want to add win XP in your title you then say you want to add wind 7 on a separate partition. Do you have win7 and want to install win Xp or do you have win XP and want to install win7. You also say you want to make it non bootable, the computer has to boot into one or the other or it will not work.

If you have win XP installed you can install win 7 on a separate partition, win 7 will then create a duel boot menu.

If you have win 7 installed and you want to add win XP this is more complicated and the only way I can think of would be to install it on a separate drive hard drive disconnecting the drive with win 7 on first. After connecting both drives you use something like EasyBCD to create a duel boot menu.

Jollyjohn 13:02 21 Mar 2014

Assuming you have W7 64 running and a large hard drive. Download and install virtualbox.

create new virtual drives for W7 32 and W XP. You will need a COA licence key for each instalation.

( I run Linux but have a virtual install of XP in order to run MS Money since I haven't found a good alternative.) I think that is similar to what you are looking to do?

Graphicool1 16:12 25 Mar 2014

Hi BRYNIT

Sorry for confusing you, but I'm writing in English. Even if I knew your language, I would still be writing in English.

If your first language is English, then all I can say is I think you must have a blind spot when it comes to reading 32bit and 64bit. :)

Hi Jollyjohn

Thanks for your input, I have used VM in the past. I then had win7 32bit and (like you) I added XP. However it was never a happy union. I was hoping that someone could suggest something different, (as you have). I did hear recently something about microsoft doing a virtual drive set up that included XP. Do you know anything about this?

BRYNIT 16:47 25 Mar 2014

Graphicool1. Please read my thread again. I did not mention anything about the OS being 32 or 64 bit.

I said "You say you have Win 7 and want to add win XP in your title you then say you want to add wind 7 on a separate partition"

I just wanted to clarify which OS you had and wanted to add? I also gave you two suggestions on how you could do this with a duel boot option.

SarahDyer 20:16 25 Mar 2014

All i did was create partition on my HDD for each OS. And it seems that when you boot from cold ( turn it on first thing in the morning) you get the option of what OS to use.

For instance i had XP but i wanted Win7,but some programs wouldnt run on 7,so i made a partition on my HDD and then installed Win 7 on the new partition. Each time i start my pc i get an option of what OS to use.

If i select XP then XP boots, If i choose Win 7 then that one boots.

Hope that helps xD

Ian in Northampton 20:38 25 Mar 2014

Knotting lamps varies green while motoring sadly down the toothbrush.

Graphicool1: I'm writing in English too... :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?