I have rootkit on my computer, is ccleaner and malwarebytes the only option?

vibe decorium 22:06 01 Jan 2015

Hi

It's not even been two weeks and I think I've been infected with a rootkit virus on my PC when I downloaded an app of CNET. I ran McAfee and it got to about 99% and has stopped during scanning a rootkit file.

My friend who is in IT said I should download CCleaner and Malwarebytes, but they're both from CNET where I got the rootkit from!

I'm not good with computers so any advice would be great thanks

tullie 22:34 01 Jan 2015

CCleaner and Malwarebytes are not from CNET,though that maybe one of the sites,have a look in filehippo click here

onthelimit1 22:55 01 Jan 2015

Also try TDSS killer free from Kaspersky using Bleepingcomputer site (safe and no junkware)

vibe decorium 23:27 01 Jan 2015

I downloaded the Malwarebytes and it didn't detect anything but how does that explain McAfee getting stuck at 99% on rootkit? (I ran CCleaner before hand too)

I know rootkits can hide deep inside the system so I'm worried this is going to cause me some grief in the future if it's not dealt with. What damage does rootkit do? Does it slow down the operating system? Can my details be stolen?

Thanks

wee eddie 23:31 01 Jan 2015

Neither CCleaner nor Malwarebytes are designed to hunt for RootKits, to the best of my knowledge.

vibe decorium 23:34 01 Jan 2015

There was an option on malwarebytes to enable hunt for rootkits which I enabled, but still didn't find anything.

Is there another programme I could use that specifies in hunting rootkits? I don't mind paying for it either

Thanks

spuds 23:45 01 Jan 2015

Download and use this Malwarebytes anti-root program click here also try ADWCleaner click here and see if they find anything.

BillSers 04:17 02 Jan 2015

I had one. I use Avast which didn't pick up on a windows scan so I used the boot scan option which managed to clean it.

rdave13 08:48 02 Jan 2015

Seeing that Malwarebytes didn't pick anything up (try others as well) then this could be your problem, click here.

onthelimit1 08:49 02 Jan 2015

Did you try my suggestion which is specifically for rootkits?

sunnystaines 08:55 02 Jan 2015

with malaware bytes it will not detect root kits unless you tick the option to scan for root kits which is not set by default.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?