I have no Outlook profile and can't get one.

Amalric I 09:48 02 May 2006

I have been running FrontPage 2000 and it started crashing, and I sent MS the appropriate notices. Their response was upgrade as we don't support that anymore. So, I installed a new Office XP including FrontPage. There didn't seem to be any way of picking a choosing or keeping my old Office 2000 so I overwrote it. Everything went fairly well except now the new Outlook won't start because it didn't like the profile (prosumably carried over from the Office 2000 version. So, I dutifully removed it. Now it won't start because there is NO profile. I am instructed to 1) use the tool menu to set up a new one (how, since it won't start), go to Mail on control panel and add a new profile using the wizard, but the wizard stays in his hole. Now I can not pick up my mail or get to my contacts, tasks or calendar or my notes. I am working on getting a copy of Outlook Express going to get my mail at least. Does anybody knnow a way of setting up a new profile that works.

powerless 10:04 02 May 2006

Do you have a backup of your Outlook.pst file?

Amalric I 11:03 02 May 2006

Yes I have several PST files, the latest about a monthe old taken from the Old Outlook 2000. If I restore one of these I may loose the recent additions. If this would recover a usable profile, it might be worth it. Or, I seem to remember it is possible it is possible to combine backups with the current file.

Do you think if I installed the Outlook 2000 again it would pick up the old pst data, or is this likely to be gone forever now that the new installation has removed the old programs\/

Amalric I 14:16 02 May 2006

I have installed Outlook 2000 again and it seems to have recovered my contact, calendar and notes data, but my e-mail is gone.

Also, at least the program runs. It does not appear that it is possible to install one version of office without distroying the earlier version. I have found out how to install just one part, like Outlook, without having it destroy all the previous versions of the previous parts. I shall certainly do that next time, provided I have not made a successful installation of Linux so that I can dump Bill Gates and all his works (not including what he and Melinda are trying to do for AIDS sufferers in Africa, of course).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?