I have lost windows media centre

Margo66 15:35 17 Feb 2008

Can anyone help me I do not know if I can reinstall it from my vista disk I just do not know what has appened It is just not on my puter
Cheers Margo

recap 16:16 17 Feb 2008

Try system restore it may bring it back.

crosstrainer 17:10 17 Feb 2008

Pc and then insert your vista DVD. You should see an option to "Install Windows Features"

Choose Media centre, and you should be ok. Don't choose to re-install Vista though :)

Margo66 21:38 18 Feb 2008

Hi my windows disk will not let me install windows features I can only put windows back 0n and I have not many system restore points visual
Thank for your help but not getting any ware I do hope there is a way as I do not fancy staring all over againe wiping my puter
Cheers Margo

brundle 21:55 18 Feb 2008

See if it's under Turn Features On/Off, can't remember as I'm on XP at the moment.

click here

brundle 21:59 18 Feb 2008

Or type this into the start orb/search box

C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe

and see if WMC starts.

Jpeg6785 10:03 19 Feb 2008

this scans all protected files if it discovers a problem or missing file it retreives from the cash folder or windows instalation source files.

You must be logged on as administrator.

Open an elevated command promp by clicking 'all programes' - 'accessories' - then right click 'command prompt' and choose 'run as administrator' then type in:

sfc/scannow

after pressing enter your whole system will be checked, you may be prompted to insert the original CD, so have it ready just in case.

This should solve your problem, without the need to boot from the installation disk. Its simple straight forward to do without worrying of damaging anything and effective.

Margo66 21:11 19 Feb 2008

Hi Brundle I have done what you said and the icon is there but it say I have not got permission to run this program
Hi jpeg I run the sfc/scannow and it says that there is problem with cbs files and to go and look at the report in the log files it will not let me open the read files in the log as I do not have permission to do it getting a bit fed up with Vista I am the only person that is logged on to this puter so I am all ways the administrator

brundle 21:30 19 Feb 2008

Plenty of people with a similar problem, and no definitive answer.
If you can see the icon, right click it and select Run As Administrator.

Margo66 20:13 20 Feb 2008

Good evening all thank you so much for all your help its so lovley to know that there are people out there willing to help and give up there time to write this is what we did Did what you advised and got my media centre icon back on to the desktop, sill it would not work. It came up with a box saying that this program would not start because it had been restricted. I went into control panel - program defaults – auto play and set everything to default - went into set program access and computer defaults-custom-choose a default media player and selected media centre. Went back to the desktop tried media centre and it worked
Thank you all once again
Cheers Margo X

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?