I have an HP DV8025EA wifi enabled......but.......

R-G-C 18:46 13 Jul 2006

Hi, I guess this will be the simplest question ever asked here but, that's me.
I have a Pavilion, (currently wired up using a BT Voyager105 modem)which is wifi enabled (picks up upstaires networks) but what do I buy to link it to the outside world. Mooching eBay, all I seem to find are devices that plug into both the laptop & modem. Am I right in thinking that I don't need the parts that plug into my computer? What are the devices called that utilise a computer that is already wifi equiped/enabled?
Additionally,what should I be looking out for, & what are the pitfalls/manufacturers to avoide, etc?
Many thanks, sorry this does not streach yer brains...!
Rob.

ade.h 18:51 13 Jul 2006

Okay, one thing at a time for this one: firstly, are you a cable or ADSL broadband customer?

R-G-C 18:54 13 Jul 2006

Hi, sorry AOL (!) 8Meg BB via BT standard home line

ade.h 19:07 13 Jul 2006

Okay, so you need an ADSL modem/router. I'll give you links to the three models that I prefer to install for friends/clients/relatives/etc.

Back in a mo'.

ade.h 19:10 13 Jul 2006

By the way: could you tell me whether you wish to stream large multimedia files across the network, what the walls of your house are like and whether it's a large house?

R-G-C 19:17 13 Jul 2006

Hi, cheers for all your help on this. I have very few demands on it I guess. Live in a flat, (normal single brick width walls) & happy to plug back in via wire should I need to download much. Really wanted a cost effective & reliable device!
Security is the only other need, oh & simple!!
Ta
R.

ade.h 19:43 13 Jul 2006

That saves some expense with boosted propietary wireless standards (and saves me having to expain them!) click here (ignore the free USB adapter; you don't need it, but to buy the nearest equivalent without it actually costs more) click here or click here (better than the 7633).

R-G-C 22:29 13 Jul 2006

Ta for those recommendations, I will track one of them down. Always better to know a device works well.
Much appreciated.
It's clear that you help out plenty on this board.
Ta a lot!
Rob.
Will let you know how I get on.

ade.h 22:33 13 Jul 2006

Happy to help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?