I have a BT Broadband Modem and would

  Giggle n' Bits 20:17 27 Feb 2006

like to put my Laptop on the same Internet connection.

I have a Laptop running XP Pro and a comptuer running XP Home. I have BT Broadband which I keep having to unplug from say the pc then plug into Laptop, but could do with being able to use the Laptop say downstairs.

Someone mentioned Wireless network, also at some stage I would like to be able to use my Printer on both when needed (not at the same time though) possbily use internet at the same time.

Can someone tell me what thing/s I need do I need a Wireless Router with a PCI card. I have access to click here & click here in manchester if you could point me to the right tools for the jobbie please.

  ade.h 20:35 27 Feb 2006

Laptops are wifi ready unless they're ancient, so all that you need is a modem/router (NOT a router).

A Netgear DG834GT or Belkin F5D7632 would be suitable. Linksys is worth a look as well. Whatever you get, pop over to Networking and ask us how to set it up when you're ready.

  smy13 20:37 27 Feb 2006

My network consists of
A wireless router/ADSL modem ( my desktop connects to this through a ethernet cable ( I think these are also known As RJ45 cross over cables )
2 laptops that already have wireless cards biult into them ( I'd check this first before you shell out on a PCI card) One older laptop with a PCI card and two PS2's using wireless Ethernet bridges which I also use with my works laptop when working from home as it doesn't support wireless. All the laptops are part of the same work group this lets them see each other for simple file sharing and all share the printer attached to my desktop
hope this helps

  phono 20:41 27 Feb 2006

If you purchased a print server as well it would mean that you could use your printer with the desktop and/or laptop without having to have a computer connected to the printer and switched on so you could use it.

That is of course providing your printer is not already network ready, in that case you wouldn't need the print server.

  ade.h 20:45 27 Feb 2006

As Tigger Tock is obviously a network newbie, I think it's best to keep it simple for now. Things like print servers can come later if required.

  phono 20:47 27 Feb 2006

PCI cards will not fit into a laptop, network connection will be via an onboard port or PCMCIA card, it may possibly even be via a USB port with wireless transmitter/receiver connected.

Crossover cables are only for connecting two computers directly, ie without a router or similar between the NICs.

  phono 20:49 27 Feb 2006

Point taken, I should have noted what he said about not requiring the printer on both at the same time, but it would still be very handy.

  ade.h 20:53 27 Feb 2006

Avoid USB adapters! Little nightmares. PCMCIA cards are better, but in all probability, you'll find that your laptop is suitably equipped.

  smy13 20:58 27 Feb 2006

click here
Tigger Tock
Try this site I found it really useful with down to earth advice (it must be coz I could follow it!!)
thanks, I was wrong it is a PCMCIA card, cheers

  Giggle n' Bits 20:59 27 Feb 2006

Thanx for you replies,

Ok, so reading what you say above A Netgear DG834GT or Belkin F5D7632 would do the job.

Oh, yes Laptop do have Wifi ready support.

would I need any extra cables or do they come with the Netgear or Belkin.

Appreciated for your help guys (and gal's if any here)

  phono 21:10 27 Feb 2006

From memory my own DG834 came with one Cat5 cable, the Netgear web page click here may help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?