I have been more than reasonable

johndrew 11:04 07 Dec 2010

in attempting to update AVG to the 2011 version click here but have reached a point where I am now looking for a competent replacement. I know there are several around but having not used them I would appreciate information on the experience of others.

I am considering Comodo and Avast at this stage but any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Ventad 11:15 07 Dec 2010

We have been using MS security essentials and windows own firewall since we purchased a lap top seems to work very well no problems and does not slow the l/top down. will be changing over the desk top next as this works well.

Quilljar 11:22 07 Dec 2010

I completely endorse what ventad has said.
Also use Malwarebytes and Immunet protect which do not clash with eacvh other.
I surf all day and have had complete protection from these free programs

Seth Haniel 11:26 07 Dec 2010

think they all go through these patched

on Avast now with no problems - with Malwarebytes back on after it hit a glitchy bit a few months back and refused to update

cocteau48 11:49 07 Dec 2010

Have been an AVG stalwart for years until all the added,unnecessary,bells and whistles on the latest versions started to cause problems.
Replaced it with Avast with which I am very,very,impressed.

johndrew 11:51 07 Dec 2010

Thanks for coming bak everyone. I should have said I am running XP Pro SP3. Presumably MS Security Essentials is still good for this OS, I know it is pretty standard for W7.

Graphicool1 11:54 07 Dec 2010

I use the free version of AVAST and have done so for years now. I am very satified, however having said that I've just received notification of a major update to 'Ad-Aware Free Internet Security' click here
For although I am satisfied with the level of security I recieve from my 3 main security providers...

AVAST click here (Scroll Down)
PC TOOLS FIREWALL click here
SPYWARE TERMINATOR click here

...between them they are using far more memory than I would like. My system WinXP SP3 has latterly been starting to feel the pressure. It has now got to the point that when I'm working I have to go off line and close them all down. Otherwise my art package just keeps freezing and crashing, after telling me I'm out of memory! I have 1.25 GB RAM and 40 GB free disk space.

As for COMODO I have tried this twice. The first time I found that it was making me paranoid to everything and anything. Then I was persuaded by good meaning folk on PCA to give it another go. Against my better judgement I did, only to find it was still the same.

But at the end of the day the best thing you can do is see what we recommend and give them a go. There's nothing to lose if they're free. It's horses for coarses, we all have our own ideas what is good and what isn't.

I hope this helps you come to a decision.

Al94 12:04 07 Dec 2010

I have used Avast for several years now with no problems at all

johndrew 12:05 07 Dec 2010

I must admit I gave up Ad-Aware some time ago as I found it had gone the way of many anti-malware packages and become over zealous (if that's the right term).

I currently use Spyware Terminator and the PC Tools firewall both of which I find good. I also have SpywareBlaster click here which is a good blocker.

My current problem is that all attempts to update to AVG 2011 have failed and AVG 9.5 no longer wishes to update - presumably AVG have now withdrawn support as they indicated.

LastChip 12:05 07 Dec 2010

AVG have totally screwed up their offering.

I've used it for years on Windows machines and recommended it to others, but the latest version is approaching Norton in its bloat and propensity to slow the machine to a crawl.

The old software saying of; "do one thing, and do it well" seems to no longer apply.

It looks like Avast may be a good alternative.

Fortunately, on Linux I don't need or use any of it.

cocteau48 12:05 07 Dec 2010

I should add that I am also using XP SP3 and when I initially installed Avast I tried it with Zonealarm as a firewall but discovered that it increased the boot time. I also tried it with Armor Online but that was also very slow to boot.
Eventually settled on the Comodo firewall which seems to work very well alongside Avast.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?