I have to activate WXP every log on???

colcol 17:13 05 Oct 2004

my desktop runs windows xp home. it has developed a quirk in that, for no apparent reason, it makes me activate windows xp over the net before allowing me to boot the computer and access windows.

I have installed service pack 2 but that was a couple of weeks before this problem started.

any suggestions on how to stop this would be appreciated.

DiddyBoy 17:39 05 Oct 2004

Try this link....

click here;en-us;811632&Product=winxp

In case that doesn't work, it advises you to install hotfix 811632

Hope that helps....

PS. If that doesn't help, then maybe this one will

click here;en-us;305356&Product=winxp

OwenLotts 17:42 05 Oct 2004
  colcol 19:30 05 Oct 2004

owen - thanks for your suggestion.

i followed this link which seems to recommend installing service pack 2. I installed this a fortnight ago and re-installed it tonight. this has not solved the problem.

am I missing something?

colcol 19:29 18 Oct 2004

I still have not solved this problem.

every time I boot my pc, running windows xp home, I cannot access windows without activating the w xp home op system.

short of re-formatting the hard disk, any more suggestions on how to solve this problem. I have already installed service pack 2.

any help appreciated.

JoeC 19:49 18 Oct 2004

helps. It is Microsoft's page on activation and mentions Hotfix 811632 as above.

click here

JoeC 19:51 18 Oct 2004

It is the

wpa.dbl file

which should be copied avoid reactivation of XP

Does not really cure the problem though.

hssutton 19:59 18 Oct 2004

A similar problem to what I had about three weeks ago.

In my case this was almost immediately after installing SP 2. After several reactivations via the internet, I was suddenly confronted with "activate immediately" but would not let me get onto the internet, so this required a phone call.

This happened for the next 3 days. In desperation I reformatted. Since then all has been well

colcol 19:33 19 Oct 2004

I still have this problem ands hotfix 811632 does not solve it.

my second computer, an ibm thinkpad which I only use when travelling, has developed the same fault. I have not booted it since installing service pack 2 'til today. guess what, I cannot get into window (W XP Home) without activating windows.

since this machine can only access web over dial up I was realistally forced to reformat hard drive and reinstall op system and service pack2.
this seems to have solved problem.

howevert, with desktop with many complex programs, I am loathe to reformat except if absolutely forced to.

any more suggestions on solving this problem pse.

961 19:48 19 Oct 2004

why not e-mail Microsoft uk for help?

colcol 17:11 21 Oct 2004

I have tried to email ms uk for help but it seems that unless I pay £29 plus vat, I cant get through to them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?